RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver - Need help with choice of raid

ZataH

Hey all.

I recently bought a Microserver G8. I am now in a dilemma. 

I want raid 5 with 4x WD Red 3tb disks. 

Dont know if I should run disk pool in 2012 R2 or buy a raid card.

I really want the P222, but it is really expensive.

I can get the P222 (new) for 340€

I can also buy the P212  462594-001 (used) with battery, 512mb memory for 180€

I saw something about the P212 wasnt fully supported by the ILO? Will this mean i cant use it in Smart Storage Administrator?

iLO can't monitor the P212 card so you don't see it in the web interface and you don't get alerts via email or the big LED bar on the front. As iLO controls the fan, you may end up with higher fan speeds due to this. It'll still work though and you can configure it using SSA.

The P420 isn't officially supported by HP but it does apparently work in the Gen8 Microserver and is recognised by iLO. It'll probably come out slightly more expensive than the P222 you're looking at though.

• Like 1

#2 Thanks for your input. Wouldnt it be possible to change the fan speed through the ilo manually or use some fan software?

And ilo still cant monitor the p212 with the recent firmwares?

The iLO processor controls the fan and you have no direct control over it. All you can do is give a hint regarding minimum fan speeds in RBSU but decision over speed itself is still down to iLO. Later versions of the firmware are apparently better about fan speeds but I don't use this configuration so I can't confirm it.

No. The P212 is not supported by HP in the Gen8 Microserver. It doesn't get detected by iLO at all.

• Like 1

Ok. How noisy is it? Because right now, i have the server in my living room. 

And I dont want to be more noisy than my workstation or Qnap

Ok. How noisy is it? Because right now, i have the server in my living room. 

And I dont want to be more noisy than my workstation or Qnap

Adding the P222 to my Microserver caused the fan to run at about 15% instead of 6% when the CPU was idle. The P222 card gets very hot which causes the increased fan speed. It isn't very loud but you'd definately notice it across the room if it was a living room.

Adding the P222 to my Microserver caused the fan to run at about 15% instead of 6% when the CPU was idle. The P222 card gets very hot which causes the increased fan speed. It isn't very loud but you'd definately notice it across the room if it was a living room.

I was actually talking about the p212 and not the p222 :)

But how is the perfomance etc. compared to the p212? Is it worth the extra money?

I was actually talking about the p212 and not the p222 :)

I don't have a P212 but the P222 is similar enough including power consumption that I figured that it would be useful info still.

But how is the perfomance etc. compared to the p212? Is it worth the extra money?

You're unlikely to notice any significant difference unless you are using RAID6 or arrays with many spindles. The main advantage is that it is the supported card by HP and iLO can monitor it.

I suspect, since the P212 is not a supported card, that the MicroServer's fan will run faster than 15%, and it will definitely be heard from across the room.