RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connect to multiple servers

Mark Twain

What is the best way to "Cleanly" connect to multiple WHS home servers..... I would like to setup 3 WHS servers on the same network while still allowing remote access to each server ...... Suggestions?????

When you say "connect", what do you mean by that? Remote access from inside or outside the network?

When you say "connect", what do you mean by that? Remote access from inside or outside the network?

Preferably both local and remote …. I know that each server will require a different ip address ….. But after that, I am only guessing as to how it will work with remote access

Well, local is no problem. You can remote desktop into any of the servers using IP. Remote is a totally different story. Unless you have multiple IP addresses from your ISP, you can only attach one server to your external facing router at a time. It's a problem we all ran into when we were testing Vail. Not too many work arounds there.

You can use a back door approach that I use as I have 2 production servers and a Vail server. I use a Utility PC that controls many different things from security to real time video transcoding and that unit runs "LogMeIn". I log in and I can get to any of the other computers or servers and RDP through the PC into them. If I need to actually get a file, I simply drop it into dropbox and log off. Not real sophisticated but it works well for the periodic uses.

I guess I didn't mention that you can use Live Mesh (going to be replaced with Live Sync sometime soon) to RDP as many Servers has you have. It works very well with WHS and is very easy to use.

Live Sync does not currently work on WHS v1.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted a similar response in another post, but it is also relevant here.

Yes, you absolutely can connect to multiple servers from outside if we are talking an RDP connection. It is all about forwarding ports in your router. Most current routers let you define an internal and external port. ALways define the internal as 3389 to your PC or server ip and define the external to another number. i.e 3390, 3391, 3392, etcc... Then just point your rdp client to xxxx.homeserver.com:3390

Check out a post I did a while ago about mRemote. A cool free tool to make RDP much easier. This is how I connect to everything I have.

http://homeserversho...h__1entry4435