RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

gen 8 not picking up drive in bay 3 or 4 with B120i.

Altecice

Hey again,

Since the last thread I have done some upgrades to my gen8.

Celeron > Xeon E3-1230V2

2GB ram > 16GB

Drives : 120GB OCZ arc 100 SSD, 2TB WD Green abd 500GB laptop drive.

Well I have run into another issue it seems, Previously both the 2TB and 500GB HDD would be picked up fine. (Bay 1+2) but now I have my SSD and 2TB in bays 1+2. If I place my 500GB into bay 3 or 4 its not detected in the B120i storage administrator. I have tested the drive and can confirm it works 100%. I can also feel the drive spinning in the server, so its getting power.

Is this a limitation of the raid controller, I can assume it will work if I place the server into AHCI mode. But To be honest i am not sure whats the best thing for me to do. AHCI or RAID? (I only use the B120i to make RAID0's with my 3 drives).

Would you get better performance in AHCI?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Altecice

Check the SFF-8087 plug is properly inserted into the motherboard. It is on the side with the PSU near the front.

• Like 2

Check the SFF-8087 plug is properly inserted into the motherboard. It is on the side with the PSU near the front.

Wow I feel like an idiot, thank-you!. 

Can believe I never thought to check the Mini-SAS connector. Seems to be functioning correctly now.

This has come up numerous times in the past. A number of us have mentioned it when people have posted about having drive issues in Gen8 MicroServers. It's surprising how often it turns out to be the problem.