RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DNLA or UPnP music server?

g725s

How best could you use your WHS2011 box to be an always available DNLA or UPnP server?

I had in the past been using my PC with FooBar200 on it to server my FLAC collection to my Onkyo reciever.  But I had to be logged onto my PC with FooBar running.

What options do I have to use my WHS box as an always available server for my FLAC collection?

You need a DLNA media player that is windows based, runs as a service and plays FLAC.

A good free one is VLC but it does not have a great front-end for music, more for video.

A good pay one is mezzmo which will stream, music,video and photos.

There must be more!

I use Plex Media Server for everything... Music, Recorded TV, Movies, Home videos, family pictures. The Plex client app is available on most popular media endpoints: Roku 3, PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi... just off the top of my head. If a client isn't available, you can still stream using a capable web browser.

Some considerations to look at specific to Plex and FLAC: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/121562-play-flac-without-transcoding/

• Like 1

I use Plex Media Server for everything... Music, Recorded TV, Movies, Home videos, family pictures. The Plex client app is available on most popular media endpoints: Roku 3, PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi... just off the top of my head. If a client isn't available, you can still stream using a capable web browser.

Some considerations to look at specific to Plex and FLAC: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/121562-play-flac-without-transcoding/

Does Plex run in the background even though I'd not be logged into my WHS box?  I want to move my WHS box into the closet, so headless for the most part.  And really I'd be fine just playing my flac files from my reciever.  As I can alway access the files with Foobar2000 from my PC or whatever.  My Onkyo receiver I don't believe has a Plex app.

So I just used Foobar2000 to be the DNLA server on my PC to access my flac files via the receiver.  I need to look into it more but Foobar2000 can stream music to other devises as well: 

But I think you have to be logged on.  Would there a be a problem is I left my WHS box in the closet logged in and FooBar2000 running that way?

The above YouTube talks about playing your music on your phone.  I would never do that but I would use that Foobar2000 UPnP/DNLA component to play my music on my receiver.

Edited by g725s

I confess that I enabled auto-login as I thought it was the easiest way around it. I know it's not best practice but I did it anyway since the server is reasonably secure in my home. You can do the same but instead of keeping the administrator logged in indefinitely, you can set it to automatically lock the desktop, say, after a few minutes of inactivity.

Plex can also function as a DLNA server on the side. You just a tick a box in the configuration and all DLNA (ie. non-Plex enabled) clients will be able to see it. This runs on top of its own proprietary streaming engine so if you have a mix of DLNA and Plex-enabled clients, the latter can still enjoy the rich and brilliant Plex UI while concurrently supporting legacy endpoints on DLNA.

I confess that I enabled auto-login as I thought it was the easiest way around it. I know it's not best practice but I did it anyway since the server is reasonably secure in my home. You can do the same but instead of keeping the administrator logged in indefinitely, you can set it to automatically lock the desktop, say, after a few minutes of inactivity.

Plex can also function as a DLNA server on the side. You just a tick a box in the configuration and all DLNA (ie. non-Plex enabled) clients will be able to see it. This runs on top of its own proprietary streaming engine so if you have a mix of DLNA and Plex-enabled clients, the latter can still enjoy the rich and brilliant Plex UI while concurrently supporting legacy endpoints on DLNA.

I like features I see in Plex especially for video. But digging deeper I found out that at this point PLEX only transcodes FLAC to 192kbs mp3, which would be a major downgrade in audio quality.  Foobar2000 transcodes to WAV so no loss of quality.

oj88, do you know of a way to make a standard user account in WHS2011 that works?  I thought that maybe loading up Foobar2000 in a standard user account would make things safer as I could leave that logged on.  But I'm able to create the account but not access it for some reason.

oj88, do you know of a way to make a standard user account in WHS2011 that works?  I thought that maybe loading up Foobar2000 in a standard user account would make things safer as I could leave that logged on.  But I'm able to create the account but not access it for some reason.

Sorry, haven't done that.

I have the Administrator as the only Windows account.

oj88, for normal access to the server you should have a non-admin user account.

I know. I do apply what you're saying to work and my clients' servers. I opted for a more relaxed, less restrictive security on my home server... that's all.

Anyway, I don't want to change anything now, if it's ain't broke... and will just apply best practices when I decide to move to 2012 R2 or the one after that.