Matthew Guay

Amazon S3 Reduced Redundancy Storage for Backup

1 member has voted

1. 1. What's the better backup option?

• S3 Reduced Redundancy - $0.15/Gb
    • S3 Standard - $0.15/Gb
    • Azure - $0.15/Gb
    • Mozy/Carbonite/other online backup service
    • FTP backup at your hosting company (e.g. Dreamhost's backup option)
    • on-site backup (external drive, WHS, floppies :)

Matthew Guay

I've been considering backing up my data to Amazon S3, and the reduced redundancy option seemed like a great option to me since it's only $0.10/Gb/month so you'd be saving 30% over the standard storage. My current backup strategy consists of keeping my docs/pics/music synced between my desktop and netbook (no WHS around here), then backing up my most important and currently active documents to an 8Gb flash drive, Skydrive/Office Live, and a free Dropbox account. What's you guys feeling about the reduced redundancy option? Is it still a better option than on-site options? I'm only looking at storing <20Gb, so it would work out cheaper than most other online backup options. And now that CloudBerry fully supports reduced redundancy, should be easy enough to get going. So what's your thoughts on online backup and the new S3 reduced redundancy option?

Edited by Matthew Guay

Matthew Guay

Or, here's another option ... I just noticed that DreamHost (which is where I have my website hosted) offers 50Gb of free storage for personal backup if you have a hosting account. See this for more info: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Personal_Backup. You'll have to FTP files into it, but hey, it's free/included in something I'm already paying for. hmm... Decisions, decisions :)

Dave

You will need to do some extra work to make sure your dream host uploads are not visible but otherwise it's an option. A more automated option is KeepVault or S3. I've not experienced the redundancy on S3 but used jungle disk long ago. I think if it's cheaper, go for it.