RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

esxi 5.5 usb3 passthrough

Romi_Server

Hi,

I'm runnig an ESXi 5.5 (HP Image from Feb 2015) and I can't connect any usb 3 devices to my hp microserver. my externeal harddisks even don't get power when I boot the server (the LEDs ao the HDDs stay dark)

Do I have to enable something in BIOS the get USB3 support? I red somthing about USB-3 passthrough. Do I really need an VT-d CPU to use USB 3.0? I'm using the G2020T CPU right now (no VT-d support)

Hi,

I'm runnig an ESXi 5.5 (HP Image from Feb 2015) and I can't connect any usb 3 devices to my hp microserver. my externeal harddisks even don't get power when I boot the server (the LEDs ao the HDDs stay dark)

Do I have to enable something in BIOS the get USB3 support? I red somthing about USB-3 passthrough. Do I really need an VT-d CPU to use USB 3.0? I'm using the G2020T CPU right now (no VT-d support)

You need VT-d to get passthrough which means you'll need to buy a compatible Xeon and swap it out.

As for getting USB3 working in your ESXi 5.5 installation, try following the guide at http://www.v-front.de/2014/11/vmware-silently-adds-native-usb-30.htmlfor enabling the USB3 controller in ESXi.

• Like 1

Thanks! Its working (I had to enable it in vsphere CLI -->vmkload_mod xhci) So this means it's not a true USB 3.0 ->I'am getting around 50MB/sec

Thanks! Its working (I had to enable it in vsphere CLI -->vmkload_mod xhci) So this means it's not a true USB 3.0 ->I'am getting around 50MB/sec

Does your VM have a USB3 XHCI controller added to it? If it uses the regular controller then it is capped to USB2 speeds.

Does your VM have a USB3 XHCI controller added to it? If it uses the regular controller then it is capped to USB2 speeds.

I was just thinking that 50MB/sec sounds like full speed USB2.