Hi all, 

New here could do with some help.

I have just purchased the following

Gen8 G1610T MicroServer

Liteon DVD RW 9.5mm slimline drive

Floppy to sata converter cable

Usb to sata converter cable

My plan is this.

Install an SSD in the DVD drive bay using the floppy to sata converter and using a sata cable on the internal port.

Install the DVD drive using the USB to sata cable using the internal USB port.

My aim here is to have a media center server with SSD boot drive 4 X 2TB software Raid 5 using WHS 2011 and have the dvd drive work using USB for watching DVDs as I will be installing Mediaportal on top of WHS2011.

I currently have a N36L as my media center and a N40L set up as my WHS2011 homeserver.

My question is this, Is my theory of using the USB to sata cable going to work as I want to be able to use a DVD, have my raid 5 and my boot SSD drive?

Many thanks for any support

Lee

You can easily boot to the SSD best practice is to set it up as a single drive raid 0 to control fan issues.   the only down side to your request is the b120i raid controller only does raid 0,1, 10 or jbod no raid 5 unless you do software raid.

Hi Thanks for the response.

I already use software raid as part of WHS 2011 and I am happy with that, what do you think about the USB DVD idea?

A USB to slimline SATA adapter should work. You'll need the SOC clip from Schoondoggy's store at http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-gen8-drive-bracket.html to fit it properly though. The ODD drive is only retained by that latch at the back. The actual HP drive you can buy for the microserver has the necessary bracket already but another drive won't have it.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1

Thats awesome. 

Any idea if I can get that bracket in the UK as with shipping this comes to $32 and its a bit out of budget for me.

I am working on lower shipping fees on small orders, but I have not found much yet.

If you know someone near you that wants a SDM or SOC, I can fit up to four SDM and four SOC in one box and the shipping charge stays the same.

Unfortunately I seem to be the only home server enthusiast. 

This is so much more work than the Old series. 

I have had 2 Gen 7s for over 3 years but looking forward to the Gen8 if i can get all the stuff together.

Ill have to secure a different way unless you can find a cheaper shipping method.

will this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-G5010EM-Laptop-Optical-Disk-Drive-Bezel-And-Bracket-524-/271808001659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4904f67b

Would it not be worth looking at getting all the guys in the UK to get a batch of SD stuff sent over, then ship from the UK?