RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jsox

Very disappointed in XBMC/Kodi on QNAP

jsox

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong that can be fixed. That would be nice, actually, because then I could fix it...

The short version is that I bought a QNAP TS453-Pro to hold all my ripped DVDs (as VIDEO_TS file structures) and directly connect to my TV via HDMI. Very excited when it arrived. Installed drives and copied files and installed XBMC and Kodi and the Codex Pack, etc. Unfortunately, it has proven to be unreliable for my use case. I want to be able to exercise the full DVD menu (different language subtitles, access to Extras, etc.). I can say that the main movie usually plays okay, but that is not what I want. *sigh*

I installed the current version of Kodi on my Win 7 Pro PC and pointed it at the QNAP as a network source of movies and that seems to work just fine (menus available, function as expected, etc.). I am left to conclude that XBMC / Kodi on Linux in the QNAP is the problem. 

Any advice?

cskenney

I have seen the same thing. I have tried it a few different times with mixed results. I have been swamped with work for a while and have not had time to dig into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trig0r

if the movie plays ok then its not grunt, are there not any clues on the kodi/xbmc forums

jsox

Not that I was able to find.

I'd appreciate being proven wrong.

Kodi 14 does seem to work fine on my PC so I am assuming it is something with the QNAP, or the version of Kodi for Linux.

cskenney

I have posted a question in the QNAP multimedia forum to see if anyone has any ideas.  I have tried this now with ripped folder structures as well as ISO and it won't work.  Like you I have installed Kodi 14.2 on my desktop and everything works fine.  I am tempted to try manually installing Kodi on the NAS to see if that makes any difference compared to the version that is in the App repository.

cskenney

So I haven't been paying attention to the Kodi developments on the QNAP until I got notice that someone had replied to the my post in the QNAP forums.  I looked at their reply but it didn't really answer my questions as to why ISO playback wasn't working.

HOWEVER, I realized there was a new version of Kodi available (15.2).  I loaded it up and ISO files play correctly for me now.  I can include the ISO file in my library, select it and it will go to the DVD menu.  I have only played around a little bit but I was able to access trailers and extras that I couldn't get to before.

There also seems to be some Blu-ray playback capabilities but my first attempt didn't work out so well.

HellDiverUK

Kodi is a streaming pile of shit.  IMHO.  

16 versions and it still can't rewind or fast forward reliably.  Kind of fundamental issue for a video player.

I moved to Plex about 2 years ago and never looked back.

• Like 1