RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

what to select for backup?

g725s

Well, technically all the local drives as well as all partitions that will allow you to do a bare-metal restore should be selected for backup. Except if a certain disk does not have any useful data in it like if it's just a scratch space or temp disk.

I back up everything, but I use 2 techniques. For Bare Metal Restore only, I use WHS Client Computer Backup. It backs up only the C: drive on each Client Computer. For the data, I use Task Scheduler to run batch files that contain RoboCopy commands. For my purposes, it gives me the best of both worlds.

No not looking for software suggestions.  I feel the WHS2011 backup will suffice.

I guess I should just use the recommended "Back up all my files and folders(Recommended)" rather than the "I will select which files to backup" option.

I had to do a reinstall on one of my client computers.  I named it the same as before and it appears that the external drive I had connected is still in the list.  That drive is disconnected so I'm not sure why it is in the list.  Any idea how I can start fresh with this reinstalled OS client computer?

Edited by g725s

I apologize in advanced if I'm a bit slow this morning... But do correct me if I misunderstood.

1. You want to use or have installed a fresh OS instead of doing a bare-metal restore (BMR) from a backup

2. The computer name on the freshly-installed computer is the same as the one in the backup

If you don't need the old backups, I would just remove the 'old' computer from WHS and add the new one... start with a clean slate.

Alternatively, you are given a choice between deleting or archiving the backup of the removed computer. Archiving it will keep the backup on the server until such time you're sure you won't need to recover any files from it.

In this example, I have removed the computer AVBOOTH-LAPTOP but kept the backup image for archival purposes.

ArchivedBackup_zpsp3ytempg.png

oj88

No I already did the reinstall on the client PC using the supplied OS Discs that same with the PC.  But when I go to select the files to be backed up from within the Dashboard I can still see this external drive. I'm assuming that it is because I did not delete the old profile? And I used the same name, or maybe selected an option to use the same proflle.  So at this point I'll assume that I probably need to delete the profile related to the client and start fresh.

Edited by g725s

oj88

No I already did the reinstall on the client PC using the supplied OS Discs that same with the PC.  But when I go to select the files to be backed up from within the Dashboard I can still see this external drive. I'm assuming that it is because I did not delete the old profile? And I used the same name, or maybe selected an option to use the same proflle.  So at this point I'll assume that I probably need to delete the profile related to the client and start fresh.

Yes, precisely what you should do. Since you assigned the same computer name, WHS considered it as the same computer. You should delete the 'old' computer from WHS then uninstall/reinstall the WHS Connector on the 'new' PC to add it back and start from scratch..