RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Altecice

Low I/O performance with ESXi 6.0

GotNoTime

Apologies should have mentioned earlier, the system was last updated using the previous SPP (April was it?). ESXI boots from USB housed in the internal USB port. Error is as follows:

Ah. It is because you're on 5.5. Try http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/hpq-index-ecli-550.xmlinstead since you're on 5.5. http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/latest/index.xml is actually the VUM index file which contains all versions and the error you're getting is because its trying to load a 6.0 update into your 5.5 install. Edited by GotNoTime

Trunkz

Yup that done it. Seems no VIBs to update :)

tinuro

Hy everyone!

I have the same HP Microserver Gen8 with 16GB RAM and E3-1230V2 4x 1TB WD BLACK in RAID10 with B120i and ESXi 6.0 with old hpvsa 0.88 driver. After I have read in this topic the problems caused by the newer driver version I decide to install the old 0.88 version. All was fine for 12 hours, but now the low performance is the same like the one with newer version 0.98. I have tried all versions 0.98 0.92 0.90 and 0.88. With all versions the read performance was very good ~300MB/s but write performance 5-20MB/s. After the update to 0.88 the write speed have increased to ~ 180-200MB/s. Now the speed is poor again in 0.88 version and I don't know why. I have test the speed with dd tool in ESXi vsphere so the issue isn't on guest only. I have received low performance warnings in ESXi logs for the datastore.(access time was increased very very up)

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

tinuro

I have reboot the vm guest and restart the tests and all is good 180MB/s write speed, but after I test multiple times with dd and the bs=4k the speed are drop again to max. 20MB/s.

Trunkz

I have reboot the vm guest and restart the tests and all is good 180MB/s write speed, but after I test multiple times with dd and the bs=4k the speed are drop again to max. 20MB/s.

Did you remove the current hpvsa driver prior to installing version *88?

tinuro

Yes I did it. The speed is poor after I write with dd multiple times. So if I use dd for 20 writes aproximatively the speed is poor and stay there. Workaround is to reboot vm. The low performance is seen in esxi host too.

AlexS

I've found one more step-by-step instruction on VM forum:

How to install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88 on ESXi 6 on HP microserver gen8

(if an other  scsi-hpvsa-driver is installed)

1. Stop all VMs

2. Enable ssh-conection

3. Copy "scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib" to /tmp  (using WinSCP)

4. Start ssh-conection (using putty)

5. chage directory to /tmp

cd /tmp

6. Copy the vib file to /var/log/vmware

cp scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib /var/log/vmware/

7. Start maintenanceMode

esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable true

8. Deinstall the running  scsi-hpvsa driver

esxcli software vib remove -n scsi-hpvsa -f

9. Install scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88

esxcli software vib install -v file:scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib --force --no-sig-check --maintenance-mode

10. Restart ESXi, stop maintenanceMode, disabel ssh and start VMs aga

I made all that way.

ZataH

How is the perfomance now in vmware with the B120i?

I really want to get back to vmware, but i only got 5-20mb/s, even with the driver downgrade. And i get 70-100mb/s with hyper-v

Running RAID10 with 4x WD RED 3TB + SSD for OS

Dvampoul

Hi, Anyone tried ESXi600-201507001.zip

vSphere ESXi 6.0 Name Version Release Build ESXi600-201507001 ESXi 6.0b 2015-07-07 2809209

Does the following says that no more downgrades for HPVSA drivers? as Displayed @ Release Notes ?

Storage Issues
  •  Slow NFS storage performance in virtual machines running on VSA provisioned NFS storage
    Slow NFS storage performance is observed on virtual machines running on VSA provisioned NFS storage. Delayed acknowledgements from the ESXi host for the NFS Read responses might cause this performance issue.

This patch resolves this issue by disabling delayed acknowledgements for NFS connections.

This issue is resolved in this release
  •  

danyxp

The update does not change the hpvsa driver, I still have 5.5.0-88.0 (the downgraded one); maybe we have to wait for hp to update their drivers again ?