RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen 8 Raid card option

rmccas

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a gen 8 to replace my old n54l.

It will run with 16GB and for the cpu replacement i think the best option is the Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 but i also would like your experts opinions

My only issue is the raid card which after browsing the forum i would like if someone could suggest some good affordable raid cards or share the experience.

This will run has a nas box (XPEnology) with 4x4tb WD red drives on raid 10

Thanks in advnace

If you are looking at RAID10 I would just use the B120i that is built in. I assume you will boot XPEnology from a USB stick or are you going to run something else on the box?

If you are looking at RAID10 I would just use the B120i that is built in. I assume you will boot XPEnology from a USB stick or are you going to run something else on the box?

Yes it will be booting from a usb key. if it gets to slow i might consider to put and ssd on the odd port. 

Yes they support most of them.

i was thinking on a Dell Perc H310 which can be flashed to IT mode.

Il try with B120i to check performance which i think is not so good

Yes they support most of them.

i was thinking on a Dell Perc H310 which can be flashed to IT mode.

Il try with B120i to check performance which i think is not so good

If you flash it to IT you will loose the RAID capabilities of the card. IT mode turns it into a HBA.

I was thinking of sticking a RAID card in another Gen8 but what does RAID give me that Drivepool and the onboard doesn't, answer isnt much...

I was thinking of sticking a RAID card in another Gen8 but what does RAID give me that Drivepool and the onboard doesn't, answer isnt much...

It all depends on what you are looking for. Drivepool isnt going to work with ESXi. The B120i will but it offers no expansion. A P222 is fast, gives you four more ports, will pick up RAID sets from the B120i, allows you to migrate and expand RAID sets, but it is expensive. There is no right or wrong answer. Your storage solution just needs to meet your needs.

Performance would be my main requirement, but as you said the P222 isn't cheap, I could buy a Xeon and upgrade the G1610T thats in the box for the same price..

Performance would be my main requirement, but as you said the P222 isn't cheap, I could buy a Xeon and upgrade the G1610T thats in the box for the same price..

Good point, if the CPU is the bottleneck get a faster CPU. If the workload is using up all of your memory, put your money in more memory. If disk I/O is the issue add a RAID card. The hard part tends to be determining where the performance issue resides.