RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAM confusion!

audin

Hi,

When I bought the Microserver I purchased 1 x 8GB Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G, however i'm now wondering if this was a bad decision as I am reading that RAM should be bought in pairs. If I buy another KTH-PL316E/8G will this operate in dual channel or will they be single channel?

I only bought this RAM because it's all that showed up on Kingstons website for the speed I wanted:

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=20&Mfr=HEW&Line=ProLiant&Model=84508&Description=Kingston_System_Specific_Memory_for_HP/Compaq_ProLiant_MicroServer_Gen8

Am I better off returning the 8GB stick and buying 2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB and can anyone recommend some compatible RAM kits on Amazon? I'm really struggling with finding ECC RAM on Amazon, the search only brings up non-ECC. I'm also wondering if I even need a total of 16GB... I'm only running a bare metal instance of Win 2012 R2 Essentials, I don't think i'll be bothering with ESXi.

Cheers

Edited by audin

The Celeron and Pentiums in the Gen8 do Flex Memory, so as long as there's two DIMMs it'll work in dual channel.  Not that either chip is fast enough to really need dual channel anyway - dual channel only really helps the onboard GPU, and the Microserver doesn't use that at all, so...

• Like 1

Just to clarify, if you have a 2GB and 8GB module in the server, 4GB of the 10GB will operate in dual channel mode.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. So am I better off just keeping the 8GB and 2GB that I have in there now and maybe add another 8GB at a later date? I also plan on buying a cheap L Xeon or T i3 when one pops up on eBay.

Trouble with me is i'm chronically indecisive I still have no idea what I want to do with the server in the longer term  :lol:

Flex allows dual channel support for the amount of memory that is the same in both channels. If you have a 8GB and a 2GB module you have 4GB of dual channel memory 2GB+2GB. Dual channel memory gives double the bandwidth of single channel. Does it help? That depends on what you are running on the server. Many websites have tested and they see a wide range of performance numbers, which tends to mean the benchmark tools are not up to the task.

The one thing I am certain of is more memory is better, as long as your OS can use it. 

• Like 1

The one thing I am certain of is more memory is better, as long as your OS can use it. 

What kind of improvements can you expect when you add more memory? Today I happened to see a 8GB stick for sale. 

That all depends on the application load and the OS. Unfortunately, if the system is slow try adding more memory.