RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has anyone managed to get ESXi 6.0 working on there Gen 8?

Altecice

Hey guys,

As the title says. Has anyone maanged this? I keep getting an error saying it cant find the NIC. 

I am using the HP ESXi 6 image from here.

Thanks,

Alt

Works fine for me. I downloaded the HP image for ESXi 6.0 and mounted it using the iLO remote console. I didn't need to do anything special with it.

That's the same one I used

Hey guys,

As the title says. Has anyone maanged this? I keep getting an error saying it cant find the NIC. 

I am using the HP ESXi 6 image from here.

Thanks,

Alt

That's teh same image I used.  Haven't had any issues yet.

I got mine running ESXi6.0 from the HP iso and its working stellar. You'll probably want a M1015 or other capable adapter as the B120i is a very poor performer in raid mode as ESXi does not allocate hardly anything towards the fake-raid resources.

Edited by saq

Hi

im having exactly the same problem as you have. I am booting with the hp customized vsphere 6.0 iso and it fails telling me that the nic could not be found. I have checked that the tg3 vib is in the iso. I have also updated the firmware through the intelligent provisioning and updated the system using the spp 09.2014 just in case it was a firmware problem, but with no luck.

I will try tomorrow the hp customized vsphere 5.5 iso... ill keep you updated

Hi

im having exactly the same problem as you have. I am booting with the hp customized vsphere 6.0 iso and it fails telling me that the nic could not be found. I have checked that the tg3 vib is in the iso. I have also updated the firmware through the intelligent provisioning and updated the system using the spp 09.2014 just in case it was a firmware problem, but with no luck.

I will try tomorrow the hp customized vsphere 5.5 iso... ill keep you updated

Solved. It is due to the RAM, ESXI needs more than 2GB to install. Weirdly, it does tell you on the 5.5 installation but not on the 6.0. I put another 8GB stick and managed to install 6.0 without problems.

Solved. It is due to the RAM, ESXI needs more than 2GB to install. Weirdly, it does tell you on the 5.5 installation but not on the 6.0. I put another 8GB stick and managed to install 6.0 without problems.

Ahh. It is strange that they took out the memory check. Thank you for posting again with the result.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 16Gb RAM and 2x3Tb WD RED, ESXi installed very easy, but ...

Fist try was to install to SD card from HP (on board slot) - not problems, it was done.

Then I've put 2xWD3TbRED to 1st bay and created raid1 - strange, but system not boot, installer of ESXi may find only USB flash and can't see present SD card.

So, I've left only USB (internal slot) and installed ESXi 6.0 to it.

I'm using apcupsd connected to 1st VM with FreeBSD 10.1 USB connected to my APC SMART UPS. Windows VM got instruction to go to shutdown early than FreeBSD. They listening main FreeBSD VM over network and also used apsupsd for Windows.

Left 2 questions:

1 How to return visibility of SD card for installation and booting from it?

2 How to shutdown ESXi connected to APC Smart over USB cable?

Alexander

Edited by AlexS

1. Try to completely remove power from server. After ILO update I also couldn't boot from SD card. Removing power, just running Intelligent Provisioning, etc. at some point booting from SD restored.

2. I follow instructions from here - http://serverfault.com/questions/462993/vmware-esxi-shutdown-triggered-by-apc-ups-connected-via-usb
But slightly modified plink command at  stage 8 because in my case depending on VM's shutdown order, ESXi host doesn't correctly shutdown controlling VM or doesn't power off ESXi. I use only poweroff command and it correctly shutdown VMs first and power off ESXi/Microserver. Didn't test yet with real electricity cut-off.
---------

1. Enable SSH access on your ESXi host
  2. Create a Linux VM - I use Ubuntu. You only need a very minimal setup - no GUI or anything.
  3. Connect your APC device via USB to the ESXi host and pass it through to the Linux VM.
    • Make sure that the USB controller you add to the VM matches the actual, physical USB controller the APC device is connected to, i.e. only add an XHCI controller if the physical device is a USB3 device. Mismatches seem to cause odd problems in the Linux USB device driver.
    • If things aren't working out and you see errors like ctrl urb status -62 in dmesg, chances are the physical controller doesn't match the one in your VM. If they do match - well then it's a problem. I have one setup with this sort of problem and no real solution to it.
  4. Install apcupsd on the Linux VM - in Ubuntu, you can do sudo apt-get install apcupsd to install the latest version. The NUT project is also nice but I am a traditionalist.
  5. Install the plink utility by doing sudo apt-get install putty-tools
  6. Connect to your ESXI host by doing plink root@<your ESXi host IP>. You can close the connection immediately. The objective is to get the host key saved so plink won't prompt for it again when we run it via a script
  7. Edit /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf and change the items below so they match: UPSNAME < the name you'd like your UPS to have > UPSCABLE usb UPSTYPE usb Also make sure that /etc/default/apcupsd has ISCONFIGURED=yes
  8. Edit /etc/apcupsd/apccontrol and scroll to the doshutdown case. Make it look like this: doshutdown) echo "UPS ${2} initiated Shutdown Sequence" | ${WALL} # Shut down indirectly by triggering the ESXi host to do the # shutdown via VMWare tools /usr/bin/plink root@< your ESXi host IP > -pw yourpassword "/sbin/shutdown.sh && /sbin/poweroff" ;;
  9. Restart apcupsd using sudo service apcupsd restart and see if things are working by invoking apcaccess. If not, check logs and dmesg
  10. Make sure all VMs that need to shut down nicely in case of a power failure have VMWare Tools installed. Also make sure that they are part of the VM startup/shutdown list (in the vSphere Web Client, go to: vCenter -> <your host> -> Manage -> Settings -> VM Startup/Shutdown). Make sure that the shutdown action is to shut down the guest OS.
  • Like 2