RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

So Gen 9 then...

Trig0r

Given that they have now started discounting the Gen 8 and doing cashback deals it looks like the Gen 8 could be on the way out.

Question is where do we see the Gen 9 going?

New socket, this one is a given.

RAM Support, I think we'll still be stuick with 2 slots but I think we should see a wider range of support for RAM giving us 32gb or maybe even 64gb...

PCI-e slot, we already have USB3 and dual NIC onboard, but for people like me that have another NIC in the slot, a second slot for RAID controllers etc. would be nice and I don't think they'd have to make the server much bigger, if at all, to fit one in.

Drive Bays, LFF and SFF perhaps?

Other than that what else, realistically, would people like to see?

• Like 1

OS independent fan control (no B120i driver needed)!  :rolleyes:

A better/quieter PSU fan.

More disks in the same form factor. I think they might be able to fit another next to the four, so 5 in total.

• Like 1

Realisticly I doubt we see more disk, list to see better SD Card for hypervisor,  onboard CPU Fan with option for 1265LV3 also but doubt we will get more than 2 dimms, this is the selling point to upgrade to the M310 series and honestly other than buying trays a better fit.

Most server and even desktops use slimline drives but so no half height 5.25 but would like it to be 9mm

I would like to see a 6 drive option so you can have boot OS, DVD, and a 4 drive raid or mirror OS and 4 drive data.  Sata3 on all   maybe even have an M.2 or MSata Drive option instead of SD card

Native USB 3.0 support (seems i always plug the kvm into a 3.0 port

Looking at the small server aspect a seperate bay or a slot that is hot load for server backup drive though currently they might argue 1 drive boot, mirrored data and 1 drive for backup and offsite.

maybe some fans below the drive bays or in the drive door to help bring in air better

• Like 1

For the investment they made in the new chassis I have to believe they will keep it for a 2-3 generations. Staying in the current chassis limits options. I would like to see a second PCIe slot. That would require a new motherboard tray. The current Intel CPU family is limited to 8GB per slot, so the only way to increase memory is to add more modules. Unless Intel changes something. I have to wonder if they will drop iLo to reduce the cost. It would be nice to have a Pentium, i3 and Xeon as choices from the factory.I will be glad if they fix all of the open issues on the current product.

Not to stifle creativity, but home server is not the target audience for this server. It is clearly aimed at SMB. 

I agree schoon, thats why the bulk of my options were to fix and or improve the current product.  Small things like better heatsinks on the LOM and Chipset as well as active cooling on the P222 would go along way.   Anything but losing ilo,  that is about the only thing that keeps me on HP for the space instead of Dell.   If dell would put a drac on the t20 i would be all over it.

• Like 1

I agree they should lose the iLO.  No-one who needs iLO is going to be using the Microserver.  It's just a complication that really makes a great product a bad one.  It breaks fan control, it defeats the Intel GPU and replaces it with 16 year old junk, it uses 6W of power doing nothing, and it makes installing and booting an OS totally complicated.

The Gen7 was a far better machine, if they just put a board similar to the Gen7 in the Gen8 case, only this time with an integrated Intel CPU (Avoton?  Xeon D?).  They don't need all the iLO crap.

I wonder if it will include DDR4 memory, I know its more than likely the 'full fat' Gen 9 Proliant servers will use DDR4-ECC. So that means a new chipset + CPU?

Edited by Altecice

I agree they should lose the iLO.  No-one who needs iLO is going to be using the Microserver.  It's just a complication that really makes a great product a bad one.  It breaks fan control, it defeats the Intel GPU and replaces it with 16 year old junk, it uses 6W of power doing nothing, and it makes installing and booting an OS totally complicated.

The Gen7 was a far better machine, if they just put a board similar to the Gen7 in the Gen8 case, only this time with an integrated Intel CPU (Avoton?  Xeon D?).  They don't need all the iLO crap.

I think they included iLo on the Gen8 because they believed remote deployment and remote management were requirements for SMB and branch/remote office applications. In those environments, nobody cares about the quality of the graphics. Most companies that would consider a Gen8 MS for branch offices are probably using HP servers and are using iLo already. I think HP will need to determine where they are selling the majority of the Gen8 MS and tailor the feature set to that community. I 'assume' the home server and tech enthusiast community is a small percentage of the overall MS business.

I rarely use iLO, but it is nice to have.

I don't think they'll go DDR4, cost implications at the minute.

I'll stick to new CPU socket, max RAM upgraded to 32Gb, second PCI-E slot.

That'd do me I think, the rest of it can stay as it is..

I did however find this

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=H20Q7EN5z88AAAEuEQIsTi_9

Says Gen8 and Gen8 v2...

Not seen the v2 things before on the Gen8's..

Says Gen8 and Gen8 v2...

Not seen the v2 things before on the Gen8's..

v2 is on the CPU and not the microserver. It means Ivy Bridge instead of Sandy Bridge.