RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cpu upgrade

tezray

Hi, I am buying the g1610t server. I thought I saw somewhere that someone had put an I3-2120 cpu in it. The cpu threads don't mention the cpu but I was wondering if it would work as I have a spare one and passmark shows it being nearly double as powerful. If I can would I need to put paste on it?

The i3 2120 does have the correct socket (LGA1155) but it doesn't support ECC RAM. All of the CPUs tested have been Xeon CPUs or the handful of i3s with the T suffix that also support ECC. I'm not sure whether it'll work in your gen8 but if you've got the CPU anyway then you can give it a try.

I see the post I saw didn't put the T on the end so I was hoping it could work I will give a go anyway when it turns up. One other I am not sure about I want to put an ssd in it and 4 hard drives in the caddies if I do that am I out of ports to put a dvd drive in it I have been googling but I'm not sure as people are mentioning another port?

There is a thread with CPU options at the top of this forum..

I bought my unit with the 1610T in it, then upgraded to the i3-3220T and then to the E3-1260L..

One other I am not sure about I want to put an ssd in it and 4 hard drives in the caddies if I do that am I out of ports to put a dvd drive in it I have been googling but I'm not sure as people are mentioning another port?

There are only 5 ports in the Microserver Gen8. 1 port for each of the bays in the front and 1 port on the motherboard that is used for the optional ODD. If you want 4x HDD + 1x SSD + 1x ODD then you're going to have to fit a SATA controller card or get a USB connected DVD drive.

Perfect that clears that up finally thank you I need graphics card so will use usb dvd. Thanks Trigor I have looked at that but was hoping someone would say they had tried a similar cpu. I guess it will probably be powerful enough as standard for me anyway as I am just about getting by with my n36l

I found the post helldiveruk said it on the thread with fans powering down hopefully he will answer if it was the T version

If you're fitting a SSD into the area used for the ODD then you'll need to buy a short SATA cable and a power adapter. You'll either need a floppy to SATA adapter (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/power-connector-35-to-sata-a18gg) to use the cable routed up top for the optional ODD or a molex splitter with SATA (http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-5-25-Inch-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B001COBMU0) and tap into the power lead that feeds the 4 drive bays.

As for mounting the SSD, you can get fancy with a laptop HDD caddy or just wedge the drive in at the top. I believe you need the 9.5mm height caddy if you do get one. The others are too tall to fit into the slot in the microserver. If you do get the laptop HDD caddy then you'll need a different adapter since it wants a slimline SATA connection instead.

Perfect that clears that up finally thank you I need graphics card so will use usb dvd.

Be aware that iLO remote console will only work with the built in crappy Matrox G200 graphics. This isn't a major problem for most people since they'll have some kind of display attached to the extra graphics card anyway.

Edited by GotNoTime

Thanks for your help again all that time I spent looking around and now have the answers in minutes. The guy got back to me it was the i3-2120 without the T so I should get a nice little upgrade. Bit of a shame about the Ilo but I only use whs 2011 with xbmc on my TV so won't need it.

Edited by tezray

One last thing. The i3 2120 is a 65W TDP CPU whilst the various stock CPUs in the Gen 8 Microservers are a maximum of 35W. You will need to keep an eye on temperatures when under heavy load at least until you get an idea of what the range is for your server in your environment. You may need to change the RBSU setting for cooling if it gets too high. People have used 69W Xeon CPUs successfully in the microserver so it should be okay if you're careful.