RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setting up incoming VPN PPTP connection from ios?

Christian

Christian

hi guys,

I'm going nuts. I've been trying to setup a VPN connection to my home network so that I can connect to the home network from my iphone when I'm away.

So far no luck.

I've followed these two guides:

http://mickolasjae.blogspot.dk/2012/02/create-vpn-tunnel-using-your-iphoneipod.html

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-vpn-connection-windows

On the win7 machine on the home network I have

• Added remote user account
  • Changed adapter setting, added new incoming connected and followed the VPN profile
  • Added incoming rule to the win7 firewall

On the Router I have added enabled VPN port forwarding rule to the win7 machine IP and change it from Never to Always in the router.

On the iPhone I have added the vpn settings for PPTP, (ie the IP on the internet, the win7 remote username, the win7 remote user password.)

Then I switch off wifi on the iphone so that I only use the 3G connection. 

When I try to connect I get an error message along the lines "Not possible to establish connection to the PPP-server."

On the iPhone it seems it's first establishing the connection and then it changes to status disconnecting and then the error about not being able to establish connection to the PPP-server comes.

Any ideas what I could be missing in the configuration?

Edited by Christian
schoondoggy

Not to derail the topic, but what types of things do you want to access your home network for?

If it is to access PC's I find TeamViewer to be a great tool to do that without working with a VPN.

If you need access to your entire network VPN is your best choice. If you need to access PC's try TeamViewer. 

It is free for personal use.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Christian

thanks guys!

@yodafett - my ISP provided router (netgear CG3700EMR) does not have GRE. I don't think GRE is required when I'm using VPN-PPTP. But I have never done this so I'm definitely not an expert.

@schoondoggy - I've just installed MediaBrowser v3. (http://mediabrowser.tv/). MBv3 allows me to stream my media content from my Win7 MediaCenter to iphone or  ipad. It works surprisingly well. I then noticed on the MBv3 Server that it also made the content available for remote clients. I quickly defined a password as MBv3 was left wide open from the basic install. It's of convenient, but not secure.

I do like the option to be able to stream content to an iphone when traveling. But I'm not sure that having MBv3 Server available for remote clients is super safe.

All things equal I would assume that if I:

• disable remote MBv3 clients
  • use VPN to get to my network

then the MB Client would run as on my LAN.

My assumption is that VPN setup is under much more scrutiny (and therefore secure) than MBv3 Server setup for remote clients. So by using VPN I would be secure and with MBv3 I could easily one day find that there was a security flaw and that my machine got compromised as a consequence. As far as I know there aren't any issues with MBv3 as of now, but you never know.

I do use TeamViewer as support tool for family members who needs a hand with the PCs everynow and then. I was using LogMeIn before that, but they changed their business model.

I've done some more testing. The iphone does not give much in terms of error. I tried to connect to the Win7 VPN server from another Win7 PC. I got an error "connection failed with error 720".

Did some googling. On this thread they talk about DHCP or predefined IP range might be the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/eb37b71e-a021-47ee-896e-186cef55bf11/pptp-vpn-on-windows-7-error-720?forum=w7itpronetworking

I'll give that a try to see if helps.

Ideas and comments are warmly welcome. Also if someone thinks are nuts trying to swap MBv3 and an open port on the router out with a VPN solution.

Chr

(HSS Forum Member #10 :-)

Christian

Got it working!

I unticked IPv6 on the VPN Servers Incoming Connection Properties. Under IPv4, I specified an IP range instead using DHCP.

On the Win7 client I also unticked IPv6. And then it worked.

I then tried VPN from the iPhone, it worked. VPN was established and I could then run the MB Client pointing to the LAN IP of the MBv3 Server. The MB Client started and I could browse my media content. I started to stream a movie and that worked as well.

Case closed.

Drashna Jaelre

Got it working!

I unticked IPv6 on the VPN Servers Incoming Connection Properties. Under IPv4, I specified an IP range instead using DHCP.

On the Win7 client I also unticked IPv6. And then it worked.

I then tried VPN from the iPhone, it worked. VPN was established and I could then run the MB Client pointing to the LAN IP of the MBv3 Server. The MB Client started and I could browse my media content. I started to stream a movie and that worked as well.

Case closed.

I'd just set up HTTPS on the MB3 server, and forward the port for it. It would be secure, and MUCH less overhead for streaming. (eg, you won't hit your data cap as quickly, and content will play a bit faster).