RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Grant B

Win 8.1 Hibernate / Sleep and WHS v1

Grant B

Greetings All,

I'm helping a friend with an issue and hoping that someone here has dealt with it or can point me to the appropriate location. I cannot find much on the subject.

My friend had to get a new laptop, which came with Win 8.1 on it. With the old Win 7 laptop, they had it back up to their EX485 at night. With the new 8.1 system, they are saying that the laptop will not backup overnight even though they have suspended the hibernate option while the laptop is plugged into a power source.

Before I end up having to go over there and dig, I thought I would ask the question to see if I get any feedback as I have never used Win 8.1. I will need to identify if there is an issue with the laptop, OS or the WHS v1 server.

Anything would be helpful.

Thanks,

Grant

ikon

I have some bad news for your friend. Since it's running Win8(.1), that laptop very likely has Connected Standby Mode enabled. You can read 1 article about it here (there are many others): http://www.howtogeek.com/189224/how-connected-standby-works-or-why-your-windows-8-pcs-battery-drains-so-fast.

Basically, with this mode enabled, it seems it's impossible to have an automatic backup take place. I have tried Acronis and Veeam as well, and neither of them work. Veeam even says it's impossible in their error message. Apparently it can be disabled, but there are consequences to doing so. I have decided to initiate backups manually on my Surface Pro.

Grant B

Thanks for the info Ikon.

So, Microsoft has now made it impossible to run an automated, overnight backup?

ikon

I can't say definitively that MS has done that, but it sure seems that way.

Grant B

Odd thing is that by the sound of it, Connected Standby Mode "listens" for notifications and wake up regularly to fetch new emails, update live tiles, and perform other similar tasks. On the surface, it sounds like it would be more able to respond to the backup request coming from the server.

It the same issue present in WHS2011?

ikon

Yes.

Drashna Jaelre

Basically, Microsoft needs to update the connector software to support Connected Standby. 

I'm not going to hold my breath. :(

However, there is light at the end of this tunnel. There DOES appear to be a registry hack to disable Connected Standby, and switch to the normal S3-5 states instead:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/incredible-battery-drain-during-connected-standby/92de7544-4514-40e8-b11d-3e18537f3de3

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power.
There is a DWORD called "CsEnabled" which you should find set to 1 and changing it to 0 will turn connected standby off.
Reboot the system.

My wife's laptop has Connected Standby, and it has been the source of power/charging issues (which I only ... this weekend discovered the source of, actually). 

Unfortunately, it may not support S3 or higher sleep states.

You can check this by running:

powercfg -a

Unfortunately, for me, the wife's laptop doesn't support S3. So I'm SOL.

ikon

Also, those things that are supposed to take place during Connected Standby..... er, won't. So there's that... :rolleyes: