RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen8 - need CPU advice

il_ferra

Hi all,

I'm working on settings up an home lab using couple of those Microserver Gen8 servers. The idea is to have one box dedicated to storage (FreeNAS) and a second one to run VMs.

The idea is to have it running 24/7 so power consumption is a concern here.

I mainly run Java apps and some other services (file sharings, vpn, ...) mostly running on Linux. Beside 2-3 of them always-on other VMs will be for testing/on-demand.

I'd like to upgrade the CPU of the ESXi box to one from the supported list http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6596-hp-microserver-gen8-processor-faq/, now the big question is: which one?

a 69W TDP such as the e3-1230v2 or something lighter as the e3-1265Lv2 for 45W TDP?

Can someone share thoughts or experience?

Thanks in advance! 

i have been running the 1265lv2 for about year now with no problem. no addtional cooling in the server other than that needed for the p222. i plan to build a dedicated esxi box on a secoond server with a 1265lv2 or gen 9 if that come out before the meetup

I hope you run on increased cooling in the bios

the 1265 lv2 gets a bit toasty at extended full load at minimum fan levels

although its still under throttle temps it does come very close

you should add something like this

image.jpg

Edited by Shonk

Have not needed it yet and have temp alarms set to email alert if to toasty.  more worried on the p222 which has 2 fans on it one from the sdm and another from the front frame

Just remember ilo reads under cpu package temps not ondie temps

I think at 87 degrees ondie temps ilo was only registering something like 55 degrees

when i first tested the 1265 at extended load with stock slow cooling with no extra fan

edit just checked

this was with the ondie temp reaching max of 87

Prime_20min_a.jpg

Have not needed it yet and have temp alarms set to email alert if to toasty.  more worried on the p222 which has 2 fans on it one from the sdm and another from the front frame

Edited by Shonk

Thank you very much for the informations provided.

Sounds like the 1265L-v2 is the "only" option without going for additional cooling. Though is a nice idea to have an additional fan.

Overall system load should not be that high. I'm not planning to run any transcoding, just some code compiler from time to time (running CI)

My idea is to have the ESXi box diskless (no heating from disks) and the second box with stock cpu and 4 drives.

Best,

Just for comparison.... I'm running a 1230v2 with ESX.  Idles 70-80watts with 3 vms

1230vs.PNG

I haven't really done any load testing on it because the most this guy does is transcode movies.  

Edited by ToyCeli22

Oh man!

Do I understand it correctly that the E3-1265Lv2 comes with a GPU integrated as well ? how is that?

And why is so ridiculously expensive compared to the 1230v2 ??

Any good place to buy it from?