RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

We are not breaking the law anymore... sorta...

dschoemaker1

Today the Librarian of Congress made it legal to rip DVD's which you own and want to digitize for non-profit use:

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librarian-of-Congress-1201-Statement.html

I know its vague and it says "professors" and "students", but by the time its out there in the public the bottom line is that we will be able to archive our collections for our own personal use without violating the law. NOTE that it doesn't say Blu-Ray... your still too cutting edge for the government. But DVD's appear to be fair game.

Kind of, except that the 5th's opinion only applies to folks within the jurisdiction of that Court. This ruling applies nationwide.

• 2 weeks later...

ummm. No. I think you may have taken too broad an interpretation. The exception is specifically granted "when circumvention is accomplished solely in order to accomplish the incorporation of short portions of motion pictures into new works for the purpose of criticism or comment"

Basically, you can extract a portion of a motion picture in order to comment on it in a derivative work. It is not a blanket authorization to rip DVDs for home use. If you read the wording, you will see that it is not at all vague. It is very specific.

Edited by Jim

Another example of why we have a country in turmoil. This is all the Government has to do??????? The DVD's are mine, I own them, and will do with them as I please for personal not for profit use.

While I respect your position (and hence the "sorta"), I think that it would be very easy to argue that it is permissible to rip videos because you cannot obtain the "educational" segment without removing the copy protection. In the consumer oriented courtrooms of today I think we are about two steps away from "its ok to rip as long as you don't gain commercially"

As pointed out by jmwills, most consumers are clearly of the opinion of "I bought it, why can't I watch it when I want, how I want to watch it."

They (the Feds) will have to come and get me first and prove I was doing anything wrong. Oh by the way, while they are knocking at the door, I will encrypt the drives. Seriously, is this really an issue any more?

I am in Iraq and we see copies of first run movies in the local shops within 72 hours after being released. The postal service knows and allows us to ship as many movies as we want to back home, but only one copy of each. So on one hand the FEDS condone "piracy" and on another they "want to punish you".

Build the economy and get back to work.

• 2 months later...