RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice wanted/needed

dikkiedirk

I want to use a Microserver Gen8 as music server. It will hold mostly flac files, HD flac files and ripped SACD. The will be served up to my Ntwork Audio Players by Asset UPNP. I chose the Microserver for its size, it can be easily placed in a cupboard or any place outside my main listening rooms. I could have gone with a qnap or sinology nas off course but I feel that Asset UPNP runs best in a Windows environment. I had it running on Windows Home Server on a EX490 until it died without warning.

I need upto 8 TB storage space with some possibilities to keep my data save and rebuilding a disk if one fails. I won'r need RAID5 for that, will I?

To keep cost down I rather avoid buying a disk controller. Those P222 cost a lot over here in Netherlands.

I also have no need for a Xeon CPU.

I would like some advice on what Server Software to go with. Windows Server 2011 or 2012 Standard or 2012 R2?

Would I need any additional hardware like an SSD which holds the OS and to boot from? Would this be beneficial?

The server I get comes with a G2020T CPU, 4 GB RAM and 2 1 TB harddisks.

Can 1 of the GB network ports also be used for ILO? Why is that? Would I then need to run only one network cable to the server?

Is ILO 4 comparable/compatible with IPMI.

Can the server be run completely headless and be managed, shutdown, powered up, changing BIOS settings and installing software over ILO4? 

Edited by dikkiedirk

Can 1 of the GB network ports also be used for ILO? Why is that? Would I then need to run only one network cable to the server?

Yep, the one network port will get assigned multiple ip addresses.

Can the server be run completely headless and be managed, shutdown, powered up, changing BIOS settings and installing software over ILO4?

Shutdown....yes

Powered up....yes

Changing bios...yes

Installing software....no/yes. You can use 'remote desktop' to manage/install the OS. However, the basic remote desktop stops after the OS has loaded and you need an advanced licence to continue.

Oh, groeten aan een landgenoot! :)

I want to use a Microserver Gen8 as music server. It will hold mostly flac files, HD flac files and ripped SACD. The will be served up to my Ntwork Audio Players by Asset UPNP. I chose the Microserver for its size, it can be easily placed in a cupboard or any place outside my main listening rooms. I could have gone with a qnap or sinology nas off course but I feel that Asset UPNP runs best in a Windows environment. I had it running on Windows Home Server on a EX490 until it died without warning.

I need upto 8 TB storage space with some possibilities to keep my data save and rebuilding a disk if one fails. I won'r need RAID5 for that, will I?

To keep cost down I rather avoid buying a disk controller. Those P222 cost a lot over here in Netherlands.

I also have no need for a Xeon CPU.

I would like some advice on what Server Software to go with. Windows Server 2011 or 2012 Standard or 2012 R2?

Would I need any additional hardware like an SSD which holds the OS and to boot from? Would this be beneficial?

The server I get comes with a G2020T CPU, 4 GB RAM and 2 1 TB harddisks.

Is ILO 4 comparable/compatible with IPMI.

Hi,

Single disk failure can be covered by creating either:

- Raid 1

- Raid 5 

- RaidZ (ZFS)

The onboard controller is really limited in terms of performance and does not cover Raid 5. Further more, it may have some driver issues (not sure about Windows), but under Ubuntu it does not work so far (only RHEL is certified, so i guess CentOS too).

You say that Asset works better on Windows. I have never used this software but i see the company behind it is offering also linux flavored binaries, as of 2013. If i were in your shoes, i'd go with ZFS RAID-Z, sort of a RAID 5 but with really better array survivability in case of drive failure.

There are 3 ethernet ports. Two of them are from a dual port Gigabit NIC and the 3rd is the standalone iLO port. iLO is also sharing one of the two ethernet ports (meaning that you can use a single port for general traffic and iLO).

iLO is basically an IPMI, branded by HP, as iDRAC is an IPMI for Dells.

And yes, the server can be run completely headless and managed from iLO.

P.S. iLO Standard (included with the Microserver) does not offer KVM and/or virtual media mounting. For this you need at least iLO essentials (which i think is about 150$ for 3 years)

Hope i got most of your questions :)

Well I am more aquainted with Windows and not Linux. I know there are also packages for qnap and sinology, but many of these are still in beta and do not run on any qnap or sinology.

What kind of OS do I need for ZFS? And is that easy to setup the Microserver?

Hi,

ZFS is available on Linux via ZFS On Linux (ZOL). I implemented it on Ubuntu and it's pretty straightforward. Lots of how-tos out there. Ubuntu is fairly easy to setup on the Microserver, you only need to make sure the controller is in AHCI mode.