RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Diaboliqute

ZFS on Ubuntu 3 drive setup

Diaboliqute

Hi,

Been using the Microserver for one year now and mostly happy with it.

What i wanted to try now is to implement RAID-Z using 3 x 3TB hard drives.

The question i have is more ZFS related, but no idea where to properly post this.

Will i encounter any issues with the fact that 2 hard drives will be connected to 6Gbps and one to 3Gbps?

Will there only be a penalty to speed or is it possible for something to go wrong?

I'm also considering buying a LSI HBA (without raid) and use that one (since i would probably also get hot swapping).

The config is G2020 with 16GB ram, OS on SSD in odd tray - Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS.

Chris

demomanca

I have a 4 drive raidz array on my gen 8 with no worries at all in regards to the 2 different speed plugs. I've also managed to migrate that array between Ubuntu and freenas and back again without drama.

Drashna Jaelre

I can't speak for ZFS or other *NIX based stuff, as I'm a Windows guy, through and through...

But I do work with storage hardware...

SATA II vs SATA III will make NO difference in performance.

The 3.0 gbps speeds of SATA II translates to roughly 400MB/s speeds. 

You may hit that limit with SSDs, but a HDD? Not likely, as most top out at about 120MB/s (of sequential access) 

As for "going wrong" that depends on the controllers in use, and what drivers you're using for them in Ubuntu.

As for the LSI card.... if there is no price difference, go for the RAID model. You should be able to pass through the disks just fine either way. And this way, if you decide you want to use RAID, you are good to go!

scruffters

Will i encounter any issues with the fact that 2 hard drives will be connected to 6Gbps and one to 3Gbps?

Will there only be a penalty to speed or is it possible for something to go wrong?

I'm also considering buying a LSI HBA (without raid) and use that one (since i would probably also get hot swapping).

As above, you're not going to notice any kind of performance penalty with the kind of HDDs that are currently available and SATA II.

Diaboliqute

Thanks for the feedback.

For now i should be ok with raidz with 3 drives and SSD for OS.