RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

6 mixed drives in n54l?

djbills

I'm thinking of reconfiguring my n54l with a 6 drive setup, making use of the eSata port + modded bios for the 6th drive.

Here's the catch - instead of modding the case or doing anything drastic, I'm thinking of putting a dual 2.5" tray in the ODD bay and running 2 WD 2.5" Reds in there.

So I'd be running 4x2TB WD Red 3.5" drives, and then 2x2TB WD Red 2.5" drives, using Xpenology 5 and setting them up on an SHR software raid.

Has anyone out there done something like this?  Call me old school, but I'm hesitating a little bacause I've always had perfectly matching drives in my RAID arrays priort to this, but I do think it will give me just the space and performance boost I'm looking for in this case.  I'm not sure if mixing it up like this will have any ill effects or shorten longevity?  Any ideas or comments welcome.

Ah - I take that back, it looks like they only make the WD Reds up to 1TB capacity in the 2.5" flavor.  That blows my whole plan.

I see a Seagate 2TB 2.5" enterprise drive but it's pricey.

Back to the drawing board...     guess I'll just try to cram a pair of 3.5" drives into the ODD with one of the Nexus doubletwins.

For virtually the same money, you can get 3TB drives for the same as 2TB which would give you what you are wanting to do.  I would then put a pair of SSD's in the ODD bay and set them to RAID0 for the OS.

I'm thinking of reconfiguring my n54l with a 6 drive setup, making use of the eSata port + modded bios for the 6th drive.

Here's the catch - instead of modding the case or doing anything drastic, I'm thinking of putting a dual 2.5" tray in the ODD bay and running 2 WD 2.5" Reds in there.

So I'd be running 4x2TB WD Red 3.5" drives, and then 2x2TB WD Red 2.5" drives, using Xpenology 5 and setting them up on an SHR software raid.

Has anyone out there done something like this?  Call me old school, but I'm hesitating a little bacause I've always had perfectly matching drives in my RAID arrays priort to this, but I do think it will give me just the space and performance boost I'm looking for in this case.  I'm not sure if mixing it up like this will have any ill effects or shorten longevity?  Any ideas or comments welcome.

A number of folks have run dual VR's in the ODD area -- here's an example http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5063-theoretical-question-on-microserver-icydock-mod/

NewEgg ran a special within the last week for a "four-pack" of WD Red 3.5" drives for $399.  That was the second of third time this year they have run that.