RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CablDeViL

Fiber Uplink Question

CablDeViL

I did receive the 1st GS748T and it is a V3 - I just cleaned it up and I am going to give her a factory reset and check the firmware tonight.  Much heavier than I expected. I definitely got my money worth. Then second one is still in transit but I was able to verify with the seller that it is a V3 also.

I was able to acquire some 12 strand fiber from an electrician friend.  I need to find out what ends are used .. I told him SFP he says that is not the type. Time to hit the manuals.

I would like to trunk 3 of the sfps and keep one open for expansion later.

I will post as new developments occur.

TY

schoondoggy

I did receive the 1st GS748T and it is a V3 - I just cleaned it up and I am going to give her a factory reset and check the firmware tonight.  Much heavier than I expected. I definitely got my money worth. Then second one is still in transit but I was able to verify with the seller that it is a V3 also.

I was able to acquire some 12 strand fiber from an electrician friend.  I need to find out what ends are used .. I told him SFP he says that is not the type. Time to hit the manuals.

I would like to trunk 3 of the sfps and keep one open for expansion later.

I will post as new developments occur.

TY

You want LC connections and multi-mode fiber.

How long of a fiber run do you need?

It may be very expensive to terminate the fiber.

CablDeViL

My electrician friend does it all the all the time at the east coast datacenter he works at. He has a bunch of LC's and a roll of fiber so I am covered there. Its about a 140 foot run.

If I get into a pinch I will PM you for supplies.

TY

schoondoggy

Check the fans when you fire them up.

Netgear went low bid on fans, I have some good choices for new ones.

ikon

How convenient, and nice, to have a friend in the biz who can make the cables you need.

CablDeViL

schooondoggy:  I am still waiting on the second switch to arrive (typical ebay seller BS). The fans on the one I have are very loud (bearings or just low grade?)

ikon: it is very convenient from a local electrician but also very nice to have community members that can also help and guide.

schoondoggy

I think they are two wire 5VDC 40mmx10mm fans, correct?

CablDeViL

have to measure when I get home - I need to crack her open to clean better also. When I do I can measure but they have to be 40mm and yes there are only two of them on the rt side. 

ikon

I would be tempted to just replace them with some really nice, quiet fans.

CablDeViL

Sorry guys for letting this thread dry up, real life getting in the way as always. This is where I am at ATT.  I opened both of the switches up and did a deep cleaning then a factory reset and a firmware update.  The fans are  3 in total.  3 are 40x10 1 is 40 x 20.  

Since the one switch will be located in the finished basement closet ( i call it my command center) it needs to be quiet as well as the top floor switch in my lab.  I could just buy 6 fans off of ebay but I want you opinion on real life experiences.

Thank You