RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CablDeViL

Fiber Uplink Question

Drashna Jaelre

Every time I look at those they seem like a good idea, but they are expensive and not very flexible.

Totally. But if you have 20+ cables to run... between all the holes needed to be drilled and ran, and the time to run each of these cables.... it may be worth the cost.

yodafett

One other option would be get 2 HP V1910 switches you can then make a bundled trunkline using copper even instead of fiber with 2-4 of the ports to give you better bandwidth on the trunk.  better Cisco switches can do this but I have used V1910 for this in the past.   it would even let you vlan a lab to main data if you want to segregate your network.   I do this in my office between the cisco switches on the bladecenters and the core 4510 to give me 4GB per trunk group to the VM host instead of just 1 gb

• Like 1

ikon

I suspect this is going to be a popular way to create uplinks for many homes in the future. 10Gb fibre GBICs have come way down in price from just a few years ago, but the switches themselves are still pretty pricey for home use, with many of them going for $600 and up. The HP V1920-24G yodafett mentions can be bought from Amazon.com for only $255, but it's not a 10Gb switch — you would have to aggregate 2 or more copper cables.

yodafett

Nice thing is they have 8, 16, 24, 48 port versions not to mention POE. We use them at all 7 of my remote sites to create fiber rings around the sites due to distance and running 3-4 seperate networks per site then use them as the central router before hitting the MPLS routers. All said and done have about 100 of these total and have a lifetime warranty.

CablDeViL

thank you all for the feed back. And I have to admit the spf five and trunking with copper is above my pay grade. SO I am trying to wrap my head around all the options.  Schoondoggy it seems that the GS748T I could send 2 SF fiber from the main switch to the top floor and that would give me 2GB trunk?  And if I used all for it would be 4G?

Yodafett I am looking at the HP now and trying to figure out what one is better for my use case.

Reply again later this week with even more knob questions

CablDeViL

ok I purchased one GS748T for $60 plus shipping.  There is another one with port 13 bad for just 20 bucks.  I may  try to swoop in to this bid at the end.  Then once I have these 2 switches I will need guidance to trunk them / bind them whatever the correct term is =)

ikon

It appears there really isn't a single correct term any more: Link Trunking, Multi-link Trunking, Link Aggregation, Link Spanning, Port Binding, etc.... I've heard them all.

schoondoggy

In the data center, LAG(Link Aggregation Group) is the most commonly used term for the function.

Although trunking is a commonly used term as well.

schoondoggy

ok I purchased one GS748T for $60 plus shipping.  There is another one with port 13 bad for just 20 bucks.  I may  try to swoop in to this bid at the end.  Then once I have these 2 switches I will need guidance to trunk them / bind them whatever the correct term is =)

When you get it, use the serial number to determine the version and update the firmware:

http://support.netgear.com/product/GS748Tv1

Here is a guide to the software. section 4-10:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/FSxxxT_GSxxxT_smartswitch_UserManual.pdf

Administrative manual on the GS700T family, Section 4:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GS700TS_UM_12Jun09.pdf

• Like 1