RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MS setup advices

cyruz

Hi guys,

I found this nice corner of Gen8 owners and I would like to ask you some advices on my future setup...

I ordered a Gen8 and I'm trying to understand which solution is the best for my needs. Can you help me answering these questions?

1. From what I understand, virtualizing is off limits until I buy a decent processor. On the other side, the ram is not prohibitively expensive and I will benefit in any case of 8/16 GB. Can you confirm?

2. I'm thinking to use FreeNAS and a ZFS filesystem but it is new to me. If I start with a small pool of 2x 4TB hd what kind of possibilities I have to extend the pool with 2 more hd in the future? Is it easy or does it require re-arranging the data?

3. Can you suggest me the simplest and cheapest backup solution that I could use with my setup above and that could be adapted in case of pool expansion in the future?

4. The ODD connector can be used to connect a hard drive to be used in the pool?

Thanks for your time m8s.

Greetings from the seas!

Cyrus

Hi! I´m not really that experienced in the questions and setup you are guestion about but I´ll try answering from my experiance.

1. I upgraded my processor immediately and I recommend upgrading the cpu for virtualizing. Also RAM needs upgrading. I´m having two 8GB ECC ram in my gen8. It depends on what you will virtualize but from my experiance more and more virtual guests are added by time. It´s nice having decent power to not being limited by hardware.

2. I´ve tested freenas and it´s a nice peace of OS. However running ZFS requires alot of ram. http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations. Inever tried extending any pools but I believe it´s supported. I thought Freenas having a quite high learning curve. I´m running an virtual instance of xpenology right now and are very happy with that. It also having several nice plugins for backup.  

If you install FreeNas, you don't need to upgrade the processor since the OS is not CPU hungry and the virtualization is not done with hypervisor, but with the FreeBSD jails. Go for 16GB of ram because ZFS needs it. You can use the ODD connector for adding storage in the pools. For backup you can use the Crashplan plugin and configure it to sync your files with other NAS, USB hard drive or off-site server. And don't forget to use AHCI mode with FreeNas.

Hi! I´m not really that experienced in the questions and setup you are guestion about but I´ll try answering from my experiance.

1. I upgraded my processor immediately and I recommend upgrading the cpu for virtualizing. Also RAM needs upgrading. I´m having two 8GB ECC ram in my gen8. It depends on what you will virtualize but from my experiance more and more virtual guests are added by time. It´s nice having decent power to not being limited by hardware.

2. I´ve tested freenas and it´s a nice peace of OS. However running ZFS requires alot of ram. http://olddoc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations. Inever tried extending any pools but I believe it´s supported. I thought Freenas having a quite high learning curve. I´m running an virtual instance of xpenology right now and are very happy with that. It also having several nice plugins for backup.  

I'd like to avoid buying a processor, as it is expensive and I don't need to virtualize. Thank for your info :)

If you install FreeNas, you don't need to upgrade the processor since the OS is not CPU hungry and the virtualization is not done with hypervisor, but with the FreeBSD jails. Go for 16GB of ram because ZFS needs it. You can use the ODD connector for adding storage in the pools. For backup you can use the Crashplan plugin and configure it to sync your files with other NAS, USB hard drive or off-site server. And don't forget to use AHCI mode with FreeNas.

Thank you for the info :)

You can tell me something about extending the pool? I would like to start with a 3 disk RAIDZ1 and extend later to a 5 disk RAIDZ2...

Edited by cyruz

The Gen8 MicroServer can be purchased with either the G1610T 35W TDP, G2020T 35W TDP, or the Xeon E3-1220Lv2 17W TDP.

All have VT-x and thus are virtualization capable

The G2020T & E3-1220Lv2 has also have VT-d if you need that (Google is your friend)

All have 2 cores and the Xeon E3-1220Lv2 has 4 hyper-threads

Check the graph in CSKenney's thread on Gen8 Links (a sticky in the Gen8 Forum) to compare the performance of those stock CPU's and other options and see what other's are using

Edited by Joe_Miner
G2020T doesn't have VT-d

The G2020T doesn't have VT-d on ark, it has 1MB more cache and is 200MHz faster than the G1610T

For Xeons the 1220l and 1260l should work too, pity they are all still holding value quite well :/

• Like 1

Just remember even though on paper a 1260l and a 1265 lv2 compare quite well

in practice

1265 lv2 pulls 38w at 3.1ghz with all 8 threads going full whack

32nm 1260l pulls 45 watts at 2500mhz with all 8 threads going full whack

e.g. there is no head room for turbo to come into play on a 32nm chip with 8 active threads

where as on a 22nm chip you get 600mhz of turbo on all 8 threads and are still 7w under the tdp

here's a piccy

http://s5.postimg.org/ycboyfsba/Untitled.jpg

Sadly you need ARK to check everything these days with so many options, not like when it was just a cpu speed! Even then it may change, like the i3 Ts supporting ECC, and them removing that later from ARK, although no doubt the chips still have it.

Also to the OP, you don't really want to virtualise freenas, they will tell you it should run on the hardware, while VT-d passthrough can be a compromise, it can be hard to get working.

Just remember even though on paper a 1260l and a 1265 lv2 compare quite well

in practice

1265 lv2 pulls 38w at 3.1ghz with all 8 threads going full whack

32nm 1260l pulls 45 watts at 2500mhz with all 8 threads going full whack

e.g. there is no head room for turbo to come into play on a 32nm chip with 8 active threads

where as on a 22nm chip you get 600mhz of turbo on all 8 threads and are still 7w under the tdp

here's a piccy

http://s5.postimg.org/ycboyfsba/Untitled.jpg

It's a little difficult to tell from the picture, have they both been tried in an identical setup? While that should be similar, it's a mobile chip running a lot hotter, and from the screenshot I can't tell if it may have less room to turbo if it's using the built in gpu (possibly with aero on).

The v2s are a better choice, but in terms of cpu feature sets, they are the same.

Edited by Ricimer