RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP P222 Smart Cache License Key

justaguy

I finally installed a P22w/512 in my HP Gen 8. In smart storage administrator it's looking for a cache Lic. key. I looked at the paperwork that came with the controller and don't see a key. Where / how do I find one so I can enable the cache?

Thanks

Are you running the latest firmware on the P222?

The P222 uses its cache without requiring Smart Cache. Smart Cache is an add on the acts as a tiered storage manager and loads frequently requested info into SSD. Also I think it only works with 1G and 2G cache modules:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartcache/index.html

Do you have drives attached to it?

The setup software just wants to know how much of your cache you want to use for read or write.

I don't think it can be configured before you setup logical volumes.

I had installed the P222 with no drives attached so that I could update the bios, load the driver etc. I guess I was sidetracked by that status message.

I loaded the driver, shut down the Gen8, moved the cable from the motherboard to the P222, booted up, set the P222 as the boot controller, picked the boot drive. The systems gave me a clean boot first try.

Next I am going to add a drive and try to convert the RAID 0 data drive to RAID 5. After I get another SAS to SATA cable I plane to move the boot drive from a HD in the drive cage to a SSD connected to the B120. I want to get to and SSD boot drive on the B120 and 4 drives hanging off of the P222.

Thanks for the help.. any suggests on my planned final configuration would be welcome.

Edited by justaguy

Your plan is how I usually set them up. Boot from a SSD on the B120i and run your data on the four bays connected to the P222. If you want to play with RAID5 that requires at least 3 drives.