RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

cameras, multicast, and networking in general

nrf

this may be off topic but it is about video. I wonder if it would make sense to have a forum category for "Networking", which could also cover topics like "when I turn up my server the network is slow"

so here is my question:

since I added IP cameras, it appears the traffic is being multicast as all the channels on my dumb switch are always pulsing the activity led.

In the past, this condition often meant that I created some problem in my network when switching things around or changing out my router.

now I could not detect such a condition because of this. I am pretty sure the load from 2 cams on a gigabit network are not really causing any saturation or performance issue, But I am still bothered that the lights no longer give me a clue of what is going on in the network.

I think I can avoid this by changing my topology, spinning off a second subnet for the cameras, and adding a second NIC to my genius vision server for that subnet. Anyone have thoughts or advice on this idea?

Personally, yes, I would put IP cameras on a separate network. I don't need that traffic on my main LAN.

BTW, I'm not sure looking at the lights on the switch is a great way to see if there's something wrong on the LAN. Certainly, corporations couldn't do it that way. As you can imagine, the lights on corporate switches are going pretty much full tilt, pretty much all the time.

• Like 1

If you have a smart or manageable switch, it would help if you enable IGMP snooping. This allows the switch to forward multicast traffic only to ports that has multicast members in it.

An unmanaged switch will just treat multicast traffic like it was broadcast (sent to all ports).

I have 3 cameras attached to a 4 port POE switch. This switch is then attached to a 24 port managed switch (TL-SG2434). Should I enable IGMP snooping?

If the cameras stream its output using multicast, then I'd say go for it.

If it does not use multicast, enabling the feature on the switch won't do neither harm nor good.

They are just set to TPC no multicast so I will not change anything. I have never "managed" anything on my L2 managed switch.

some thoughts on my own topic: 

1) with a separate subnet, accessing the cameras or dvr from other pcs requires some additional routing or you would only monitor via the geniusvision server

2) the settings for igmp snooping seem fairly complicated on my gs108tv2 and so far I have not been able to keep the stream of data off my other switches, perhaps because the dvr's use of UPNP

I am leaning toward the separate subnet with my soon to be sophos serving up the two subnets