RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Blood

oj88

That feeling you get when an otherwise perfectly-healthy hard drive, got its first Current Pending Sector count. :(

I know it's not a big deal... yet, and the only time I should be seriously worried is if the counter starts incrementing within a short span of time. But there's always this sinking feeling to know that a particular disk has reached middle-age. The good news is, it's still got over a year of warranty left.

And oh, this is a WD Red 3TB... the only one so far out of the 5 Reds that I have, showing its age.

Oh, no, that's just fine.

It's the "Uncorrectable Sector Count" that gives me the sinking feeling.

And writing to the particular sector may correct this issue. Though doing so may be troublesome.

And writing to the particular sector may correct this issue.

A little OT, but related. That's one of the things SpinRite does. Unfortunately, SpinRite doesn't yet work on drives larger than 2TB :angry:  Steve has gotten as far as creating a new drive scanning algorithm to see how fast it can scan. A number of GRC forum regulars have tested it. I believe Steve said he's seen scan rates as high as 500 gigabyte per hour, which would be a fantastic improvement over the current release. However, Steve being Steve, it's likely to be a long time yet before we see a new version of SpinRite.

A little OT, but related. That's one of the things SpinRite does. Unfortunately, SpinRite doesn't yet work on drives larger than 2TB :angry:  Steve has gotten as far as creating a new drive scanning algorithm to see how fast it can scan. A number of GRC forum regulars have tested it. I believe Steve said he's seen scan rates as high as 500 gigabyte per hour, which would be a fantastic improvement over the current release. However, Steve being Steve, it's likely to be a long time yet before we see a new version of SpinRite.

Not to be too mean, but StableBit Scanner will probably get the ability to forcibly "scrub" sectors before SpinRite gets fully updated.

But I totally understanding. It's absolutely complicated work, especially as he's supporting newer tech (SATA, 2+TB drives) on very old tech. And he's got a day job, and other projects he's working on too.

But yes, SpinRite can definitely fix issues like this. 

That would be great news for Scanner. And you're probably right, Scanner will be ready before the new SpinRite ;)

And it's worse than you think. SpinRite is Steve's day job. He doesn't have a job outside the home.

If you can afford to pull the drive for testing I would run it through WD's diagnostics, especially the long test, while still under warranty. If it fails the test you can send RMA it for a replacement. I've purchased 4 WD reds at one time or another. 2 started throwing errors (SB Scanner warned me) and I got both replaced via RMA. Both were purchased in early 2013. Both were used exclusively in an N40L running WHS 2011. One was RMA'd when it was 2 months old, the other at 2 years old.

Good point. I just might do that. There's ample space in the pool to move data around so I can pull out the drive.

If you use DrivePool, it can automatically clear out a failing drive for you. In fact, if DrivePool detects that a drive is failing, it will clear out the drive on its own.

If you use DrivePool, it can automatically clear out a failing drive for you. In fact, if DrivePool detects that a drive is failing, it will clear out the drive on its own.

Absolutely.

Specifically, if it detects "damage" in the form of unreadable sectors.

However, if you open up the Balancer settings in StableBit DrivePool, there are more options (like evacuate duplicated or unduplicated data in the case of SMART errors, or avoid placing files on disks that have overheated).

Personally, I set mine up to move out unduplicated data in the case of SMART errors as well.

The issue with that, though, is that high temperature and LCC will trigger this behavior, which is why we have it off by default.