RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server causing the rest of the network to run slowly.

Lethbridge

About 6 months ago I moved into a new place and had to re-setup my network. I connected my main pc first and everything was working fine. A few days later I connected my server, and my main pc's internet speed slowed right down.

When I launched a browser (didn't matter which one), it would take about 15 second to load up my homepage, normally it was about 1 second. If I went to load a 2nd page, usually it would time out after about a minute, but refreshing the page once or twice would usually load up the page after another minute or so. It would also affect me being able to get online on any of my video game consoles. I didn't attribute the slow network to the server at the time.

I started to have a hard drive issue on the server so I decided to leave it powered off for a few weeks until I had a chance to fix it. During this time my internet went back to normal. Today I finally had some time to try and fix the hard drive issue, and once I reconnected the server to the network the poor speeds came back right away.

I've tried connecting the server to a different switch, and tried different cables, but that hasn't fixed it. I'm not really too sure what to do here to resolve this. For now I have just left my server powered off, and I am toying with the idea of doing a full reinstall of the server but I figured I would post here first to see if anybody has had this issue in the past, or if anybody could offer any advice.

What does your network look like? Switches, router, firewall?

How many connections from the server to the switch?

Who is managing DHCP, router or server?

Generally when adding a server causes an issue like you are having, it means that the server may be trying to do a service that is already being performed elsewhere.

If you have multiple switches check to see that you do not have switch loops.

Do the activity lights on your switches all blink at the same time rapidly?

Perhaps the hard drive issue is causing the server to misbehave. Maybe, once you have the hard drive issue fixed, Internet speeds will be back to normal.

If the server was Server 2012 Essentials, the issue could be as simple as DNS lookup.

On the DNS role in the server, check the forwarders and make sure those are the current one for your ISP.

ikon:   I've removed the failing hard drive and still am having the network issues.

schoondoggy:    The network is a bit of a mess, but so far it is working other than when server is connected. I'll try to explain it:

The apartment I'm renting comes with internet included, the only downfall is I don't have access to the modem.

Landlord has the modem (it's a modem router combo as far as I can guess, I've never actually seen it), and from there it goes -> wired connection to 5 port dlink switch (Switch A)-> wired connections from that switch to 1A) main pc 2A) server 3A) surface pro 3 dock 4A) another dlink switch (8 port).

From the 8 port switch (Switch B)it becomes ugly -> wired connection to 1B) xbox one 2B) ps4 3B) satellite receiver 4B) stereo receiver 5B) smart tv 6B) dlink wireless router

Yes I realize it's weird to have the router at the end of the connections, but when i tried to connect the router right at the front of the "chain", I kept getting no internet at all. This way, I have internet and wifi.

I believe that DHCP is being managed by the modem.

I'm not sure what you mean by switch loops, I assume you mean that I have cable 1 going from switch a to switch b, and cable 2 going from switch b to switch a?

The lights on the switches do for the most part blink at the same time, but not rapidly. Some of them do blink independant of the others.

Try running Belarc Advisor on your PC to see what your network looks like. I am a bit concerned that you and the other tenants are on the same network.

I'll do that tomorrow when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post my results when I get them.

I think it would be best to get a firewall or router between your network and the landlords modem/router.

This. Seriously.

Because either the other tenants may be a hacker, or they may have infected computers. Have a NAT/Firewall device in between you and them gives you a level of protection from them.

I think it would be best to get a firewall or router between your network and the landlords modem/router.

Yes, I would subnet their network by using your own router.  I have done this where I was going to be in a hotel for an extended period of time and would take a router with me.  Connect the router to the hotels wired network connection and run my own VLAN there.  Safe secure but for really short stays, I just VPN back to my home network.