RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

vmware vsphere network storage with Windows 8

kylejwx

lets say I have two physical machines.  One is running vsphere the other Windows 8, but all my good storage is on the Windows 8 machine.  How can I expose that storage over the network to the vmware server to be used as a datastore?  NFS? iSCSI?

Each box has 2 gigabit Ethernet ports.  No Fiber Channel around here.

Haven't played with iSCSI or NFS on Windows in some time (so spoiled by SSD), but it wasn't too tricky with Windows Server variants.  Your question is more challenging, since I wouldn't trust methods I found in various google searches I've tried, not without trying them myself.  But here's a promising tip that might help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/625b7abd-2803-4370-a426-b067ab646bb0/windows-8-as-an-iscsi-target?forum=w8itprogeneral

ok, thanks I will look into that.  Am I correct in assuming that Windows Server 2012 R2 has iSCSI built in and that if it replaced the Windows 8 machine, it could serve as the storage for vSphere?

Yes, Windows Server has a built in iSCSI Target server. So if you replace the Windows 8 machine, you wouldn't need any additional software.

Yes, Windows Server has a built in iSCSI Target server. So if you replace the Windows 8 machine, you wouldn't need any additional software.

That's convenient because this machine happens to dual boot Win8.1/Server 2012 R2.  :)

• Like 1

i would use NFS instead of iscsi for vmware, with nfs you will be able to see the share within windows for backup, cloning, etc. Currently i am running an i7 esxi host that connects to nfs to my microserver and via iscsi on my qnap