RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot Trouble

Rolfeo

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping someone can help?

I have had my Gen8 Microserver running for the past couple of weeks, no problem at all, all the advice on here has helped me a treat.

Today, however, I powered down my server so I could hook it up to my new UPS and now it is not booting up.

I get a message once it tries to load the OS stating that ".....winload.exe" could not be found.

I am booting from the MicroSD card into my SSD with Windows Server 2012 R2 on it.

The instructions for the MicroSD boot I got from here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5886-gen8-25-hdd-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/?p=67539

I have now tried to remake the boot disk in case it was corrupt but the winload message keeps coming up.

The Windows Server 2012 R2 I am using is a 180 day trial version direct from Microsoft. It is an image and I mounted it for install.

Will putting this on to a DVD and "repairing" the install work?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Ouch.

That's a critical boot file. Without it... that's really bad.

If youre booting from a SD card, well, that's not really supported by Windows, and may be the cause of the issue here.

If you have the boot partition on the SSD, try booting from taht.

It's been working like this for a fortnight with no issues whatsoever. I have shut it down before.

The MicroSD is thought of as a USB drive as is stated in the link with the instructions by TheBiggerMan.

I'm thinking the MicroSD became corrupt. Have made a new one but it's not working.

SORTED!

So, I removed my HDDs and the MicroSD card and booted into the OS. I then put a new USB drive into the internal slot and made a bootdisk  with this using the previous instructions by TheBiggerMan.

With fingers crossed I shut down the server, replaced the HDDs and powered it up and Wahoo! I'm back in as I was before.

The MicroSD slot appears to not be working anymore, haven't a clue why, but as the internal USB is working and I'm back in I'm not that bothered.

The only updates I have done are Windows updates, everything else was up to date as per the Guides on the Gen8 links page.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'M LOVING THIS SITE!!!!!