RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving my WMC box to a Server

rgreenpc

Chris, ur running Media Browser? How do u like it? How do you think it compare to Plex? I been a Plex fan for sometime now and really like it but that said one thing that bugs me is they don't seem to listen very well to customers. Many of us have asked them over & over to please allow Plex to run as a service, after all PMS is a server but it keeps falling on deff ears.

Jason, I also purchased Always up to start Plex and yes its a great piece of software & worth the cost.

AlwaysUp is a great application. However I found it interacts oddly with Plex Media Server. For example, if you create PMS as a "service" within AlwaysUp, when you start it, you cannot access the Media Manager locally using http://localhost:32400. Whereas if you login to the server via RDP and launch PMS using standard method, you can. I've opted to remove it from AU for now and disconnect from RDP leaving it running rather than logging off the RDP session which will close the PMS app.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, ur running Media Browser? How do u like it? How do you think it compare to Plex? I been a Plex fan for sometime now and really like it but that said one thing that bugs me is they don't seem to listen very well to customers. Many of us have asked them over & over to please allow Plex to run as a service, after all PMS is a server but it keeps falling on deff ears.

Jason, I also purchased Always up to start Plex and yes its a great piece of software & worth the cost.

Well, I was having some issues with MediaBrowser. But that turned out to be the system disk (SSD) failing! :'(

Replacement is coming in tomorrow, and then after that I can give a better opinion.

However, before the issues starting hitting, I liked it a LOT. not only does it have the option to run as a service natively (it installs it and sets startup to "manual" by default), but it works much the same way that plex does. Though, it has a lot more customization option (such as cover art, and "collections" and the metadata editor, though that's a feature that does need work).

The stand alone theater app for Windows needs work. Namely, if you set it up "properly" (eg, use network shares when adding media), then it won't transcode the data, but will instead play the media directly. But this requires codecs to be installed. Also, it screws up with the subtitles... as it tries to draw them in a reasonable space (such outside of the video), but it cuts off everything that's ... outside of the video.

This is fine for TV shows, which use 16:9 ratio, but horrible for movies.

But the web streaming is very good.

However, Plex does seem to be better at adjusting the quality based on the bandwidth. 

Also, Plex Home Theater is a fork of XMBC, so works better and is much more developed.

Additionally, MediaBrowser uses ffmpeg to transcode, so you could replace it with a custom version, if you want.

And user management is MUCH MUCH easier on MediaBrowser. you can create a bunch of users and control what libraries they have access to, enable parental control, and even specify times they're allowed to use the server.

One feature to make note of:

MediaBrowser supports Live TV. Not natively, but via MediaPortal, DVB Link, ServerWMC and a couple of other services. That means you could definitely set up a tuner farm, and stream and record TV and play it back on your MB ("Emby") clients!