RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving my WMC box to a Server

rgreenpc

I have not noticed any significant hit on disk performance.

Yes, you have indeed been very lucky to have not lost any data. If you have that much ripped material I would urge you to look into a 3-2-1 backup scheme.

Some people just figure they will re-rip if they lose ripped data but I consider it 'cheaper' to keep backups of the data, even rips. My time, what there is left of it, is more valuable than the cost of a few disk drives.

I have not noticed any significant hit on disk performance.

Yes, you have indeed been very lucky to have not lost any data. If you have that much ripped material I would urge you to look into a 3-2-1 backup scheme.

Some people just figure they will re-rip if they lose ripped data but I consider it 'cheaper' to keep backups of the data, even rips. My time, what there is left of it, is more valuable than the cost of a few disk drives.

Is a 3-2-1 backup scheme realistic for someone with 6TB of movies ripped? What service do you all use?

6TB is only 2x4TB drives, so 4 drives (2 sets of 2), in addition to your main pool, would give you the 3 copies. If you rotate the 2 sets offsite that would give you the 1 of 3-2-1. Strictly speaking, it wouldn't fulfill the 2 of 3-2-1, but it would be 2 separate sets of drives, so it at least partly fulfills it. Besides, the 2 was really built into the scheme for really long term storage, which is not what we're talking about here.

Not to mention, you would still have 2 TB of spaee for future use.

Thanks for the info... I will look up the info on the site regarding Stablebit. I guess my issue was redundancy. I hate the thought of ripping my discs again (if you've never done it imagine having arm hair removed a stand at a time).  Stable bit is just JBOD if I understand correctly... just in a software form.  Is there any significant CPU hit by going this route over hardware?

I rip my movies from my discs then strip out the extra audio and languages (to make the tracks a bit smaller)

I was thinking about running 4 - 4TB drives (or 6).

I have been lucky and never had a HDD fail on me before I replaced it. 

No, StableBit DrivePool should not have any significant impact on the CPU or memory. 

Everything has been optimized to try and be as lightweight as possible.

As for "protection", it's 1:1 file duplication/mirroring, but you can specify it per folder.

And while, yes, this will take up a lot of space, if something does happen, you can continue to use the pool without a significant impact. 

And once a "missing" disk is removed, it will check the pool and re-duplicate files as needed.

And with StableBit Scanner, if damage is detected on a drive, it will automatically move files out of the drive.

I run Plex Media Server in a Hyper-V VM on my WSE12R2 box. PMS has a documented issue where it conflicts with WSE12R2 VPN and PMS will lock up on the Host OS when VPN is setup. I had to isolate PMS in a Win7 VM to circumvent this issue.

I run Plex Media Server in a Hyper-V VM on my WSE12R2 box. PMS has a documented issue where it conflicts with WSE12R2 VPN and PMS will lock up on the Host OS when VPN is setup. I had to isolate PMS in a Win7 VM to circumvent this issue.

That's ... really odd. I never had that issue actually.

You're running Plex Media Server on a WSE12R2 OS with Anywhere Access and VPN enabled without any issue? How about DirectAccess? There's a Plex forum thread on this issue. No one has been able to find a workaround. I'll find link.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/52700-pms-crash-on-windows-server-2012/page-7

EDIT: Odd. A lengthy thread. May now work with R2. What is easiest way to migrate a PMS config? Install PMS on the host then just copy a specific folder over itself?

Edited by Jason

Not using DirectAccess, but have the VPN option configured (PPTP, L2TP and SSTP, at least).

But it is an R2 box, which appears to be "immune" from this issue though.

It's Server 2012 Essentials that is affected. Not Server 2012R2 Essentials.

Regardless, I've moved on from Plex and am using MediaBrowser now, which can NATIVELY run as a system service. 

Just installed PMS under WSE12R2 and you're right R2 works fine. The migration of PMS from one system to another isn't the most turnkey but the performance running on a core i5 Ivy Bridge vs a VM is significant so I'll fumble my way thru reconfiguring my PMS on the host OS. Thanks!

EDIT: I purchased a license for AlwaysUp a while back which can essentially turn any app into a service and does so much more. Used it for running OneDrive as a service. Worth the cost.

Edited by Jason

Another option is OpenMediaVault.  I tested it recently, and was quite impressed.  It's basically Debian linux with a really nice management interface on top.  There's a heap of plugins, which basically just automatically sets up the common home server/NAS applications.  For example, installing the Plex plugin just installs the standard linux Plex Server install on to Debian.

I was running OMV on an i3 with 8GB RAM, booting it off an old 30GB SSD.  I had a 120GB SSD for the Plex library and downloads, and finally I had a pair of 5TB drives in RAID1 with XFS file system.  OMV uses the standard linux mdraid system, so if it all goes horribly wrong it's easy to recover from.

I've tried FreeNAS on and off over the years, and realy I think it's beyond the scope of a home user, and the jails for running applications in is unnecessary and over complicated.  OMV is linux with a NAS-focussed GUI that's simple to set up, and can run anything you want if you install it manually, because it's just Debian.

• Like 1