RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Four 3TB WD Red drives $399

schoondoggy

I half agree with Ikon. 3TB drives are too small.

However, since the Seagate Archive 8TBs drives work fantastically with StableBit DrivePool, I think that's all I'm going to buy from now on. ;P

But ~$33/TB... that's the best price for the NAS type drives. Worth buying if you want a lot of drives, and aren't as worried about capacity.

Eg, a great starter set of drives.

I'm throwing 4 of these in place of my 4 x 1.5 TB 7200 RPM drives into a Liam Li EX-503 drive enclosure. It will not only double the capacity but also virtually eliminate heat in a confined server closet.

• Like 1

It has a slight gap at the base of the door of approx 1.5-2 inches. And I've put a ceiling exhaust fan in the closet with a thermostat connected to one of those bathroom exhaust fans. When the temp hits the designated temp on the thermostat, the fan activates and sucks the rising heat up into the attic. Though recently I've turned off the thermostat and just left the door ajar 4-5 inches.

That sounds not too bad. I think it might work even better if you installed a grill into the door, about a foot off the floor (to help eliminate picking up dust from the floor) and re-enabled the thermostat or just set the fan on low permanently. By bringing the air up from the bottom you'll be getting the coolest air into the closest, and it will go past all the pieces of equipment. Taking the air from under the door I think is a not quite enough volume, and is prone to picking up dust.

Good idea. This is actually a hallway linen closet wired and repurposed into a server closet on the floor within. I would have to either cut into the door and make cosmetic changes or replace the door with a screen door or something to that effect. For now I just keep the door slightly ajar for simplicity. The ceiling exhaust fan is either on or off, no low or high speed adjustment. I really need to make a habit of cleaning the server fans and grills periodically.