RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
typod

Server Upgrade

typod

Firstly thanks to cskenny who approved my account so quickly :)

I currently have a NL54 Microserver with 8GB RAM an SSD in the bay where the optical drive usually sits, which is connected using the esata port allowing me to have 4 HDD's in the front all for storage.

Tomorrow my new Gen8 will arrive, I was very tempted to wait for the Gen9 but with no firm idea when it would be released and the current Gen8's going for £179 on ebuyer and amazon + you get £35 cash back it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I have a few questions about the general setup of the new box.  I will be running Windows Server 2012 R2 as I am on my current NL54.  I mainly use the box for network storage, DLNA server, and Hyper-V

I have a new 256 SSD to install in the Gen 8 and I am assuming I can do the same trick and place in on the ODD bay - I am sure I have seen a forum post on this actually.

2 of my disks in the NL54 are in a raid 1 array using the on-board AMD RAIDxpert controller, I would like to just switch them too the new box.  Is there an easy way to move the array or do I have to break the mirror and start again?  It's not a big deal if I loose raid for a while as I have crashplan so all my data is safely stored offsite in case the worse happens.  But it would be great if I could just lift and shift (I am willing to bet that won't be possible!) or break the mirror, move the drive and re-establish the mirror (again I suspect that will wipe the drive).  Its been ages since I supported RAID on servers so I am bit sketchy.

I have ordered 8GB RAM for the Gen8 as well and may look at a CPU upgrade later.  If at all possible I will also look to change the fans for silent ones as well.

If anyone has any other tips I should know about setting the box up please feel free to post them.  I will also trawl the Gen8 sticky I have seen here.

Thanks in advance.  Looking forward to getting my Gen8, then I can sell my NL54 and get the managed switch as well :)

• Like 1

typod

Thanks. I have been slowly ploughing thought the links. A lot of great info there.

schoondoggy

I do not think you will be able to pick up the RAID1 set and move it. You generally can move RAID sets within a family of controllers, but not between different vendors.

nrf

which is a motivation either for windows raid feature or something like drivepool (not trying to provoke a war here, just an observation). I have had no issue at all moving windows raid sets between servers on multiple occasions across multiple operating systems and pc varieties

• Like 1

typod

I just want the most reliable resilience in the past I would have thought it was hardware but now maybe software is fine. As i said I don't mind breaking the mirror in the short term I just dont want to loose the data.

ikon

These days, I think something like DrivePool actually provides better resilience than hardware, partly because it is so portable.

typod

I will look to use that then if that's the way things are going.  Whats the best thing todo then with my current raid 0 array?  Break it, add the disks one at a time into the new server and create a pool?

schoondoggy

These days, I think something like DrivePool actually provides better resilience than hardware, partly because it is so portable.

How does portability make the data more resilient?

schoondoggy

which is a motivation either for windows raid feature or something like drivepool (not trying to provoke a war here, just an observation). I have had no issue at all moving windows raid sets between servers on multiple occasions across multiple operating systems and pc varieties

With enough CPU and Memory software solutions do a great job and they are very portable. Hardware controllers tend to offer better performance and tend to offer drive scrubbing drive failure pre-prediction. There are good reasons to go either route.