RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server to NAS

Poppapete

I'm not quite there yet. I rely heavily on flexibility and capability of my WSE12R2 box to migrate to a NAS unit for the time being.

If you put 3x6TB drives in the Asustor, it wouldn't be enough storage for your needs? I say 3 because I assume you would want an SSD as your System Drive.

I could do that, indeed.  I'll have to see, I've bought the big AsRock board so I'll have to see what the story is.  As usual I don't know what to settle with.  Perpetual tinkerer, me. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody taken a look at the Thecus W4000 NAS? It is running Server 2012 R2.  It seems like a cheap way to get Server 2012. 

It seems like a cheap way to get Server 2012.

That was what prompted me to buy mine - I was on the market for a new NAS and decided it was worth a punt. Thus far I am not wholly impressed - the machines are underpowered, storage spaces as a replacement for RAID is still not entirely mature and the performance of some combinations of resilience type and file system leave a lot to be desired, and the lack of documentation means a steep learning curve if you're not already familiar with the Windows Server technologies. I added another 2GB of RAM to my W5000, went with Drive Pool rather than storage spaces (after a lot of benchmarking) and did a lot of reading and asking questions. I am still not convinced one way or the other (I may yet decide that I've been sold a pup) and Microsoft have not helped matters by breaking client restores in a recent update (or possibly multiple updates for Windows 7 clients).

Just to be clear, it comes with Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

From the user perspective that does not seem to be relevant, it only matters to the OEM selling it (possibly limitations on processor and RAM). Internally it has the same SKU as 2012 R2 Standard - it even presents the Standard edition license terms - and seems to do everything that the vanilla R2 Essentials does. I've seen anecdotal evidence (probably on here somewhere) that it is possible to upgrade it to 12GB of RAM.

I suppose that's true if you put it in that context. The differences are probably too small and like you said, probably wouldn't matter, this being bundled in a NAS hardware.

You just caught me in a stickler mood with product names, is all. :D

Has anybody taken a look at the Thecus W4000 NAS? It is running Server 2012 R2.  It seems like a cheap way to get Server 2012. 

From the few reviews I've seen, it seems very underpowered with the Atom CPU.  The Atom means you're stuck with 4GB RAM maximum, which is a bit lame.  The OS drive is just a 120GB 2.5" SSD in a hidden internal bay.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't upgrade it.

If they'd put the Bay Trail CPU in rather than the crummy old D2700, I think then it'd be worth considering.  As it is now, it's not really much good unless you're using it for simple storage.