RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server to NAS

Poppapete

I see PCDoc, Mike Faucher is going to shut down 2 of his 3 servers and replace them with a QNAP-TS-451 to save space and power. Quite a few folk going this way!

I've looked at that unit too. It's a bit pricey to my mind, but better than a Synology. The only thing is, Syno's DSM is just about the best NAS/home server OS I've seen. Of course, I have no knowledge of QNAP's QTS OS, so I don't have a basis for comparison.

Amazon has it for $456 and I assume he will have enough HD's from his decommissioned  servers. The problem with the Server 2012 E R2 is the price of the software alone will buy a good NAS.

Then for $250 Mike Howard has a big wrap for the Mediasonic 4 bay raid storage device but it is not a NAS.

I've more or less abandoned my server, and I'm now running an Asustor AS5104T.  J1900 CPU, 4GB RAM.  I've no particular regrets.  I probably would have bought the 8 bay version if it was in stock anywhere, the 4 bay is a little restrictive.

Those Asustor are even higher priced than the QNAP, at least in Canada. The problem I find with all these small boxes is that they're underpowered. They have plenty of power if all you want is to serve files and do backups, but they don't if you actually want to run more than 1 or 2 of the built in apps. That's why I've been looking at Xpenology.

Those Asustor are even higher priced than the QNAP, at least in Canada. The problem I find with all these small boxes is that they're underpowered. They have plenty of power if all you want is to serve files and do backups, but they don't if you actually want to run more than 1 or 2 of the built in apps. That's why I've been looking at Xpenology.

I agree in general, but the 5104T has a J1900 which isn't underpowered at all.  I have it transcoding via Plex and it has no issues, though it is pretty low bitrate due to my 1Mb upstream internet at home.  I'm also running Sonarr, NZBGet, Deluge, etc, etc with no problems at all.

This is the first of a long line of NAS units I've tried that I've been comfortable in running as my only server/NAS.  I'm very happy with it.

Edited by HellDiverUK

I still run a microserver as my main with 2012r2 using the essentials role but have picked up a 99 qnap. Initial response is it is perfect for 90% of home / small business with backup, plex, open vpn, and a nice app selection and a user friendly interface. Might sell this one to a co worker to upgrade to a larger version as an iscsi host just for my VMware needs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still pleased enough with my Asustor, but 4 bays isn't enough.  Any more than 4 bays is too expensive, and still unavailable anyway.  So, I'm going back to a 2012R2 machine.

The 4-bay Asustor is ideal for general home use, it's quiet, it's fast, and it literally sips power when the drives are spun down (which it's very happy to do unlike Synology).  I've even seen it running a single drive (OS/downloads drive is a RAID1), only spinning up the second drive when it needed to write.

If you put 3x6TB drives in the Asustor, it wouldn't be enough storage for your needs? I say 3 because I assume you would want an SSD as your System Drive.