RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dashboard Update Status

revengineer

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with the update status listed on the device tab of the dashboard. For one of my PC connected to my WS2012E machine, the update status shows a red shield labeled as "Error". The detailed properties window for the update status reads "Cannot detect available updates." The client PC is fully updated. The problem started after applying the 3/12 patches.

I have googled the heck out of this but could not find a solution to the problem. Does anyone know how to get the server to recognize the client update status again? Or, maybe somebody knows how to troubleshoot this?

It really sucks how these patch Tuesdays have become such a crap shoot. It seems that every month there is now a 50/50 chance to wrecking ones homes network.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

No this is the non R2 version. I also see the problem on only one of four clients so this does not seem to be a general issue like the backup problem. Finally I should add that the clients are all windows 7 machines.

Yes I think too that this is a client issue. All clients are 64 bit. And interestingly it is only the update status that is not recognized. The client sees the green server icon in notification area and backups are running fine as well. Are there any logs I can lock at?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clear this up. There is a log for windows update at %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log. I looked for errors, in my case it was 80070490, i.e., update database corrupted. Googling this, I tried a number of fixes, none of which worked. One set of instructions looked most promising used the repair option from install disk to reset the OS, then ALL updates must be reinstalled. I ended up going the easy way and did a bare metal restore from a backup prior to the problem. That fixed the issue and subsequent installation of updates went well. So this was a one off and not related to the recent update.