RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 5.5 U2 network performance

canuckcam

What's the network throughput like for you on the Gen8?

I'm getting around 45-50MB/sec copying files to Windows Server 2012 (4x 2TB storagepool with raw device mapping) under ESXi 5.5 U2 on a 1610T Gen8 with a single Gigabit ethernet connection. I'm thinking of using eth2 for my DSL modem with Sophos UTM (again in a VM) so I'm not teaming the NICs up.

Should I team the NICs up to get better performance and get a PCIe ethernet card for the DSL modem, or am I hitting the limit for non-RAIDed hard drives in ESXi and storagepool'd? Would a higher-end NIC offload the I/O work from the CPU thus improving performance?

Edited by canuckcam

Is that the speed you're seeing with a "bunch" of little files?

What are you seeing with a big iso file?

Joe_Miner raises an excellent point: throughput varies a great deal, in most cases, with file size, larger files getting higher results. When benchmarking performance, it's important to test several scenarios: a group of multi-gigabyte files, a group of files of various sizes, and a group of quite small files.

Ah - will test! Any recommended utilities from the experts to do so? I'm just going by the performance stats on iStat Menu on my Macbook Pro.

There are lots of network utilities out there but, for me, the real test is to copy files back and forth (it's important to go both directions). After all, that's the kind of thing you're going to be doing in real life. Every testing product is, to some extent, synthetic. Copying files is not.