RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
oj88

Microsoft WPC 2015

ikon

I was at EMC World there a few years ago. It was may and it was raining so hard manhole covers where popping up in the air as the storm sewers could not handle the amount of water.

Yes, it certainly can rain in Florida. You just have to look at the way the streets are designed, with wide concrete water channels at the sides of the street, leading to really large drainage holes in the curbing, like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@28.573235,-81.368977,3a,20.4y,350.02h,57.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1LmSI8P0aC9cDKkOD-aTOA!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Drashna Jaelre

Well, when most of the state is at or below sea level... water flow would be really important. :)

ikon

I don't know about below sea level, but I know that nowhere in Florida is more than a few hundred feet above sea level.

oj88

As a would-be tourist, I'd really want to take in the sights and simply just be able to roam around unrestricted. Of course I want the weather to be perfect but then, I also wouldn't mind a little drizzle... so long as it doesn't cause any flood.

ikon

Well, Orlando is not exactly a typical American city. A lot of it centers around the theme parks: Disneyworld, Universal, Seaworld, Legoland. It's also a pretty big convention center, with many of the convention sites very near to the airport.

• Like 1

jmwills

Orlando is in the middle of the peninsula so it will be rather hot there as opposed to the coastline during that time of year.  Not like your Outback region but hot and HUMID.

ikon

Yeah, the humidity is something else. I remember saying to my wife one morning when we were visiting relatives, "Honey, get me a knife; I think we're going to have to cut our way through the air to get outside." :)

oj88

It's 100% go... I've just been granted a visa.

It was a grueling 3 hours inside the consulate, though. I had to relinquish all electronic gadgets as they were all banned inside the premises. Suffered withdrawal symptoms all throughout the wait as we were being herded from one queue to another. I wish I had the foresight to bring a book or something. When the final interview came, it was a bit nerve-racking with all the pointed and personal questions.... no beating around the bush, these guys. Though I do commend them for doing a good job.

The dark side of it all, if any, is that Uncle Sam/Homeland Security/NSA (and all other three-letter agency) now has my picture and fingerprints on file. I guess my crime spree days are over. lol

ikon

Just so you know, it's standard practice to not allow electronic gadgets. In some areas where I've worked, you can't even have a USB cable, and you certainly cannot have a USB flash drive. In those areas, telephones are not only not allowed, they're actually locked inside metal 'mail' boxes, which effectively puts them into Faraday boxes. So, you experienced a fairly strong level of electronic device mitigation, but not by any means the strongest.

oj88

Yeah, I kinda get why it had to be done. It isn't particularly a first for me in a secure facility. But that said, I can never get used to the feeling that I'm 'disconnected'... and for three hours just sitting there, fidgeting with withdrawal. Somebody could very well be watching me on CCTV and probably thinking, "Hey, this guy looks agitated. He's probably up to something. Got shifty eyes and I could swear he keeps looking at the exit." :D