RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP releases new Wireless VPN Router PS110

Starbuck

Junk.

Because:

a) 802.11n, not 802.11ac

B) Throughput 920 Mbps - only for NAT, performance in L2TP mode - unknown. Possible very low.

Looks like HP found a way to drop old communication equipment for money. 

I think HP should get a fair shake. 920mbps raw throughput is quite decent, IMO. Even if it drops down to just 100mbps (rough estimation) with all features enabled, it's still going to be faster than most ISPs.

Anyway, most business or enterprise-oriented products are generally spec'd modestly, as opposed to those with bleeding-edge specs marketed to computer enthusiasts. I heard that this is done so to garner the best stability and product longevity as is typically required in a business/enterprise environment.

I think HP should get a fair shake. 920mbps raw throughput is quite decent, IMO. Even if it drops down to just 100mbps (rough estimation) with all features enabled, it's still going to be faster than most ISPs.

Not. It very specific, can chip offload encryprion and tunnel's, or this kind of jobs processed by CPU. Not fast CPU. 

Now i pay 500 roubles for 100mbps. Throw tunnel. It's not cheapest provider. Only selected routers with CPU faster, then this HP can work at near-maximum speed.

And old WiFi N....

It will be just a budget broadcom cpu with ctf to bypass iptables

a 600mhz broadcom mips cpu with ctf can pull around 900mbit through the wan

without ctf around 130-150mbit..

128bit encryption vpn will be around 38mbit

256bit encryption vpn will be around 15-20mbit

Edited by Shonk

It's just another sub-par, overpriced unit to stack on top of your Gen8 Microserver along with the 8-port switch.  

It's for those SMBs where the "IT expert" is the in-house accountant "who has been using computers for 30 years" and is 6 months past retirement age but won't leave because the books are in a shambles and doesn't want a law-suit from the Inland Revenue chasing him to his nursing home, so is prepared to work until he keels over and they carry him out in a wooden box.  Yes, I've been there clearing up the IT f***up after that situation, I'm not bitter at all. :)

LOL, yeah, you don't sound bitter at all. :)

To be fair though, the accountant was probably saddled with the IT job (because he at least owned a computer, unlike his colleagues) and was never offered any training, and the company was too cheap to hire a professional company. I've seen a lot of these, even with my own relatives. What seems to be lacking the most is any idea of the concepts of good IT infrastructure. They do everything piecemeal, instead of designing the whole thing beforehand. It's like building a house one room at a time, with no blueprints.

As mentioned, we are not the target audience for this. It appears list price is $249, hard to tell what it will sell for. It would be interesting to see what the iLo integration looks like.