RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yud

Sophos UTM on ESXi on N54L with one physical NIC

yud

The NC360T indeed required the mod (the info I had from another forum was incorrect).

I have cut the connector as per mod and the NIC is in the N54L for a couple of days now.

All appears to be working.

The NIC is only used for a Sophos UTM VM so I don't really know how to test constant speed or x'fr rate. Both ports are showing as working at GB speed but I don't know of a way to test if this is constant/reliable.

I'll report back if there are any changes/development.

nrf

hmmm. that other socket is an x4? suggests an alternate approach... but evidently taking a saw to the 360t seemed to work. scary!

YetiTech

I am also trying out the Sophos UTM. My current plan is to run it on a spare laptop between my Fios router and my internal LAN. I'd like to use the virtual appliance, but the laptop isn't a 64-bit CPU, so ESX isn't a possibility for that. Looking at 32bit bare metal hypervisors I can run this on...maybe Xen...will post an update on my progress...

yud

I am also trying out the Sophos UTM. My current plan is to run it on a spare laptop between my Fios router and my internal LAN.

You will need 2 network cards,,,

nrf

or for a laptop a second nic via usb perhaps?

jetsetter

Hi, I want to try something similar with yud, but my target is also to combine the bandwidth of two aDSL WAN links.

To clarify, I have:

• two plain home aDSL routers to different ISPs (with their DHCP set to disabled)
  • one N54L with two physical NICs (I have added a realtek card) running ESXi 6.0
  • a Sophos UTM VM ready to be installed

The goal is for the Sophos VM to act as a DHCP, WAF and WAN bandwith combiner to all my home LAN machines, so I can filter their content and also benefit from the combined bandwidth.

Looking at the previous posts of this tread, I was thinking that I maybe I can run the two WANs on the 1st physical NIC separeted with different VLAN IDs and use the 2nd physical NIC as internal LAN. 

So the question is: Can I do this with two physical NICs somehow or I will definately need a third one?

Your feedback (and if possible some instructions on how to configure the vswitches as well since I am new to ESXi) will by much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

BR

jmwills

Conventional wisdom would say you will need a physical NIC for every external and internal connection.

jetsetter

Conventional wisdom would say you will need a physical NIC for every external and internal connection.

Well, using unconvetional wisdom, with an addition of a $15 5-port, managed 802.1q VLAN switch, I may be able to achive the same result... :)

I think I may try this, but I wanted first to hear some advises before I do, because I'm probably loosing something since I am not an expert in networkings.

Thanks for your reply.

nrf

not sure about my own wisdom level but I was hesitant to put such an important function as dhcp into a vm that relies on a host OS booting/initializing. using an old pc as a standalone utm / bandwidth combiner seems so much more manageable/reliable.

regarding the 'managed switch' I once had a setup of two 8-port "smart" switches with some vlans, but one of the switches reverted to factory settings one day and caused real havoc.

not sure where you can get even a smart switch for $15 much less a managed one, but for me simplicity is everything. In the event my old pc (now utm) should go south while I am away, I can easily talk my family through sticking an old router back in its place and they will be online 

jetsetter

Hi nrf

thanks for your reply. The swtich I was thinking would be something like this (sorry you are right, it costs around $35 new, not $15 as I wrote before) which supports VLAN tagging, so I was thinking to connect one aDSL router to port #1 on the switch and assign VLAN1, then the other aDSL router to port #2 on the switch and assign VLAN2, then connect one of the physical ESXi NICs to port #3 on the swtich which will be configured as a VLAN trunk, so ESXi can communicate to both VLANs through this physical port. In vswitch configuration, one virtual nic will be asigned to VLAN1 and another to VLAN2 so my Sophos VM can see both adsl lines as two separete WANs, while using the other physical nic as the internal LAN and... voila.

I agree with you regarding DHCP, but I dont want to add another physical machine, so I can leave the DHCP server run to the dsl routers anyway, and if ESXi goes down... someone will have to unplug the internal LAN switch uplink cable from the ESXi to one of the dsl routes and service will be resored.