RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yud

Sophos UTM on ESXi on N54L with one physical NIC

schoondoggy

HP 332T is a dual port x1 NIC. There are cheap x1 NIC's based on Realtek chips.

yud

Thanks.

The HP NIC is quite expensive. Any of the Realtek based NIC's will work with ESXi?

Sent from my SGS 'Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by yud

yodafett

with it being esxi I would remove the RAC and go for the NIC,  try to find a duel port Broadcom or intel as realtek have been removed under esxi 5.5 and 6.  you can side load them but it can be a pain.

yud

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ended up buying an NC360T and will remove the RAC this weekend.

Taffeys

Ended up buying an NC360T and will remove the RAC this weekend.

I believe the NC360T will not work very well, if at all, in the RAC x1 PCIe slot; it's a PCIe x4 card.

ikon

If the NC360T is a x4 card, it won't even fit in the slot AFAIK.

yud

Thanks for the input @Taffeys and @ikon.

I was planning to do the mod as per post in this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/dual-nics-on-pcie-x1-slot-recommendation.471/

But then I've been advised on another forum that the NC360T will fit in the x1 PCIe slot of the N54L without modding.

I will install the card today or tomorrow. If it fits - fine. If it doesn't - I will do the mod.

Either way I'm happy to report back.

ikon

Yes, please do report back. It will be interesting to find out the truth, either way. :)

Taffeys
I still don't understand why you didn't get an HP 332T, I bought one and they aren't that much more expensive.

Even if it fits or you get it to fit you may have problems. All x4 PCIe cards are allowed a maximum power consumption of 25W and all half-height x1 cards are fixed at 10W. And the NC360T will be looking for 4 data lanes while the slot only has one. The RAC slot is not a standard PCIe x1 slot; it will be interesting to see if it works and what the ports performances are if it does.

yud

I still don't understand why you didn't get an HP 332T, I bought one and they aren't that much more expensive.

Even if it fits or you get it to fit you may have problems. All x4 PCIe cards are allowed a maximum power consumption of 25W and all half-height x1 cards are fixed at 10W. And the NC360T will be looking for 4 data lanes while the slot only has one. The RAC slot is not a standard PCIe x1 slot; it will be interesting to see if it works and what the ports performances are if it does.

I didn't get the HP 332T because the only one I could find was AU$280 on ebay.

The NC360T is reported to be working in the x1 slot of the N54L and only cost me AU$55.

I will test and report back...

Edited by yud