RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
indiggio

DrivePop Gone?

Drashna Jaelre

I looked at the CloudDrive "learn more" information and I didn't see anything about encryption.

If you store data on their site it appears that everything is stored "in the clear"?

That seems like a bad idea to me...

I don't know. It sounds like it's encrypted:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore?ref_=cd_home_navlm#everywhere-section

Safe, Secure, and Backed Up

Amazon's world-class security and protection keeps your content safe—even if your phone, tablet, or computer is lost or damaged.

GotNoTime

Secure just means it isn't easy to access without authorisation. Amazon Cloud Drive stores everything on their end as plain files without encryption. The T&Cs and API both mention that Amazon may modify your data to present it in different optional formats. You'd want client side encryption anyway as otherwise your data would still be accessible to Amazon since they'd have your key.

Jason

What client side encryption methods are you all using? Currently I'm using Crashplan consistently and reliably however the data is no encrypted on my local machine. It's just a document folder structure. Though CP does use encryption during transmission.

Zenon

TrueCrypt 7.1a.

Jason

I thought TC 7.1a had been abandoned. Are there any ways to automate the process of mounting the container so it can still be accessed locally and continuously backed up to a cloud storage location?

IIRC you have to mount/open, update files, unmount and upload to cloud while not in use...

Drashna Jaelre

I thought TC 7.1a had been abandoned. 

Yes, and no. The original developers are no longer developing the program. However, security audits show that it is very secure to use.

As for automating this... not really. 

itGeeks

What are others using as a resonable alternative for cloud backup?

I am using CrashPlan, Small fee, Unlimited backup. http://www.code42.com/crashplan/

• Like 1

revengineer

Have you looked at cloud xtender?