RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to sleep on Windows Server

doomed

Hey guys

I've got a Microserver Gen8 running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Sometimes it's powered on all day but no one is using it. In order to save on the energy bill and the machine itself (less use on the components), I would like to enable some kind of sleep mode when there is no action.

I checked the power settings on Control Panel but the settings i'm looking for do not seem to be there.

• Sleep after X
  • Hibernate after X

These two options are not there at all! I've got them on my Windows 7 Laptop.

So.. What can I do?

Another separate issue... with the power button.

I have the power button set to Shut Down (again, on control panel). But no matter if i press it (just a tap), it doesnt initiate the shutdown.

I've had other servers in the past, some of them running Windows Server and didnt have this problem.

What can i do?

I thought the Lights Out add-in had been discontinued. I leave my server on 24/7 as I've found it more reliable than trying to anticipate when I might use it for remote access etc which is predictably unpredictable. And as a server there are tasks that it handles around the clock that powering down would negate.

I think LightsOut has been revived, but I agree with Jason that it's too hard to know when a server will be used, so I leave mine on 24/7.

Are you using HyperV? If so, then you can't sleep the system. Period. 

If you really want it to sleep, then there are few commands you will want to learn.

Namely, just powercfg.

"powercfg -a" shows you the available sleep states (good for making sure you actually sleep the system).

"powercfg -requests" shows what is actively preventing sleep from occurring.

"powercfg -requestsoverride" lets you ignore one of the said things that is preventing sleep from occurring.

"powercfg -lastwake" shows you what cased the machine to wake up.

I am also using Hyper-V. My VMs are defined to save by power off.

Lights-out is still under development. There are now versions for Windows Server. Such a version is running on mine. (I have a host Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V and there Lightsout is installed)

And what should I say, it is running like a charm.

I takes 5 minutes till all VMs (also WHS2011) is up and running but the best is, they are continuing work where Hyper-V sent them to sleep.

For example. On one VM I have SETI@home running and it continuous calculating with no issues.

I've never seen a report on this, but the amount of power saved by trying to sleep a VM Client would be miniscule, I believe.  The host is still running and that's where all or a great deal of the power is being consumed.  The only aspect that would get a rest would be the CPU but just as soon as you power up the client, CPU activity is crazy for a few minutes until it settles out.

I run a second gen i5 and while everything is running with RAM maxed out at 95%, the CPU runs at about 7-8%.

• Like 1

Maybe I was a little unclear.

My complete Gen8 is powering off not only the VMs and if a client is switched on it is waking up and starting to work ...

Lights Out will/would have been your best option but I don't think they continued support up to Essentials.