RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Red Flashing Lights of Doom?

salshoes

I happened to look over at my server this morning and my jaw almost dropped.  The three blue drive lights (one for each of the hdd's I have installed) are each flashing from blue to red rather rapidly.  I remote desktopped in, and everything seems fine, no critical warnings, everything healthy, i have access to all the data and music.

Any idea what is causing this?  I can't imagine it is a good sign - 

thanks!!!

Restart the server.

Depending on the system, the service that controls the lights may have crashed. When this happens, it can cause the issue you are seeing.

What hardware are you using. You say "the three blue lights". What three blue lights? We have  no way to know.

Considering he posted in Home Server V1, and considering the most popular Home Server is the HP Mediasmart, which has blue lights on it which change to red if there's something wrong, I'm making a guess it's an EX495 or something similar.  Just an educated guess...

I would have you go into the Event Viewer.  If nothing is there relating to the drives, I would shut down the server, reseat the drives, and start back up.

Install my free Home Server SMART Classic add-in. I have one EX495 still running WHS v1 just so I can continue supporting WHS v1 users with disk-related issues. You can visit www.dojonorthsoftware.net to download it. It'll tell you in a mighty hurry if something is wrong with any of the disks. Although to have three failing all at the same time is highly unlikely. Not impossible, but not very likely either.

Or if the system is still on WHSv1... then the service that controls the light may have crashed.

That will cause this behavior as well. 

Both for the lights and for the health notification.