RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unattended Installation of Windows Server 2012 Essentials on MediaSmart Server

phatguy29

I was looking to see if anyone had created a valid method for installing Windows Server 2102 Essentials using an unattended method.  I do not have the VGA cable for my old EX487 and would like to give it a go.

I created a USB key of the ISO and added an autounattend.xml file, but it only gets so far and then bupkus.  Without a head, I have no idea where it is hanging.

Thanx in advance.

Are you using the file to set up a default password?

If you did, you could remote desktop into the system and see what's going on?

Also, is this for Server 2012 Essentials or Server 2012R2 Essentials?
This makes a big difference because the installers are quite different.

I am installing Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2.  I cannot Remote Desktop in to the server either.  The server software is being installed (or not installed; that's my conundrum.)  It has not even asked for IP yet. so there is no way to login and watch what is going on.

So far, I created an autounattend.xml and placed it in the root of the USB stick where I expanded the server image.  The xml file has the AutoLogon and Password defined in it.  I am not sure which file you are referring to if it is not that file.

Thanx for the response.

At this point you don't really know if the drivers for the NIC card are being loaded.

Guys, am I correct in believing that the 'trick' of starting the install on another computer and completing it on the MediaSmart is not possible with WSE2012(R2)?

Guys, am I correct in believing that the 'trick' of starting the install on another computer and completing it on the MediaSmart is not possible with WSE2012(R2)?

It would probably work.

But if it needed drivers or anything.... you'd never be able to to tell.

It would probably work.

But if it needed drivers or anything.... you'd never be able to to tell.

You couldn't connect to it remotely, like you can with WHS2011, to finish the install (assuming you don't need to install a NIC driver)?

• 3 weeks later...