RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help deciding on controller for G1610t

ak88

Hi All, I have been an avid reader for a while now and joined because my G1610t server just arrived and I need to plan the setup. I have pieced together information from some great threads but have some questions before I take the plunge and place the order for the controller, I will link various sections of this post to where I found the info for reference.

Firstly I will summarise my plan. I want to run ESXi on the server so I can play around with some VMs as well as run one VM which will host my CRM and accounts package. Assuming they can be upgraded without causing hassle, I will hold off replacing the CPU for now and might try to make do with the 2GB RAM until I can afford 8GB and then 16GB. I will only be setting up one VM until the RAM is increased.

The controller is a confusing point for me, I have only used the onboard fake RAID controllers before like in my N40l so please excuse my ignorance on this subject. The way I understand it is if I want iLO support I need to get the P222, or the P420. If I don't need iLO support the P212 should suffice.

I expect to probably run RAID5 on 4x1TB WD Red drives as my storage needs should be fairly low. 

Now my confusion begins:

I read that iLO is mainly useful for remote management, the server is in my home office so do I need iLO?

I read that the P420 requires the FBWC module to function, is this true of the other controllers (P212, P222, P410) or can the module be added in the future if required? I read that RAID5 requires the FBWC.

Here are the prices I have found:

P212 (clean pull) with 512MB mem and battery (second hand) for £110

P222 (new) and battery (used) for £215

Memory for the P222 is £40 for 512MB, £90 for 1GB, £100 for 2GB

P420, 2GB memory, capacitor (second hand) for £230

I am really looking for some guidance on which card is best for me and based on the prices which should I go for. I would like to keep the cost down but if the P222 is by far the best option for me even given the fact it costs more then I will put it on a credit card and pay it back over the coming months as I don't want to buy twice.

I really appreciate your time to help me with this!

Having researched a bit further it seems that the P222 has 512MB onboard memory so there is no need for me to buy an additional module. Am I right in saying all P222 controllers have this onboard memory and that is sufficient for RAID5? If so I think I am probably better off buying that controller as it is supported by HP and ESXi so I will have the full use of the card and can try out iLO.

Any input much appreciated :)

P222 integrates best with the Gen8.

The performance is excellent in R5 (also support's R6 - as HP seem to include SAAP 2.0 for free)

Not all eBay cards come with the cache, but if you buy new from Ballicom UK it comes with both size brackets, cache and the FWBC battery. I've sourced 10+ P222'S from those guys - never been a problem.

Edited by scruffters
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, the new P222 I found does say no memory but after reading the HP site it said it had onboard mem so must be two different part numbers. I think I will try and get the P222 then to save headaches down the road and for functionality as and when it's required. I've used ballicom for other kit and they were good.

Yeah I've used Ballicom before for stuff, never had any issues.

I'd stick a P222 in my Gen8 but I have a dual port NIC in mine for teaming :(

Yeah I've used Ballicom before for stuff, never had any issues.

I'd stick a P222 in my Gen8 but I have a dual port NIC in mine for teaming :(

How many ports are in the trunk?

I did teaming quite happily with the 2 on board ports.

Thanks for that, the new P222 I found does say no memory but after reading the HP site it said it had onboard mem so must be two different part numbers. I think I will try and get the P222 then to save headaches down the road and for functionality as and when it's required. I've used ballicom for other kit and they were good.

I believe the part number I've used was 631667-B21.

I have one team for LAN and one for VM's.

I could drop down to just the onboard but losing 2 ports to then have to spend north of £250 just for RAID5, especially given I have DrivePool/Scanner seems a bit backwards.

Indeed it is, as much as I'd like to have a R5 array from a P222 and then use the B120 to have a pair of R0 SSD's on one of SD's drive rail setups I cant really justify it, granted I could go for a few USB3 Ethernet adapters and Team them but its a lot of expense for a pretty small gain.

Especially since USB3 doesn't really seem to give all that much of a performance boost; at least not in my experience (I typically only get around 25% increase).