RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 5.5 + 2x SSD RAID1 +4x4 TB Bay

Romi_Server

Hi!

I have these Specs: Gen8 GT2020 / 16GB RAM / 4x 4TB WD RED / 16 GB MicroSD

My Plan ist to use ESXi 5.5 as Hypevisor (on the microSD?)

Guest OSes on the SSD RAID1 controlled by the B120

P212 RAIDContoller with BBU for the Bay (Raid5) or FreeNAS ZFSr1 without Raidcontoller.

Is it really possible to get the OSes on the SSDs (Raid1) by using ESXi 5.5?

Which OS would you recommand for the NAS when I choose the P212 Array (OMV?)

Whe I run the nas without RAID Contoller using FreeNAS ZFSz1 do I need an Xeon CPU with VT-d to passtrough the disks in the bay?

I am still not sure if its better to get a raidcontroller for the bay or upgrading to a Xeon CPU and use FreeNAS with ZFS. All the things have to work with ESXi 5.5.

I hope to get some answers here ...btw awsome forum!

Br

Roman

I don't have enough drive time with esxi to help you much, but here goes:

You can boot esxi fro a microSD card or USB drive.

You mention RAID1 on SSDs, what are the SSD's? Where are you going to mount them? Why not run RAID0 for speed?

P212 only runs SATA at 3Gb/s and it is not officially supported on the Gen8. Although more money, a P222 would be a better/safer choice.

I have been playing with FreeNAS and it works well. I have not tried it in a VM.

If you are primarily using this as a esxi box I would upgrade to a XEON.

Dear Schoondoggy thaks for reply!

I would like to user your SDM-Bracket to mount them. My plan would be to use 2x 120GB SSDs in RAID1 through the B120i.

Why RAID1? --> I want to use this server for OwnCloud and Diaspora  (24/7). So I thought that the RAID1 would be safer if one SSD fails. Not a good idea?

I don't know if the my system has enough power to run ESXI with 3 VMs (Debian/Windows8/FreeNAS) My biggest worry is that running FreeNAS as VM without RAIDcontoller using ZFSr1 will totally slow down the performance. FreeNAS recommands 1GB RAM for 1TB store.... i have 4x4TB and 16 GB RAM.

Do you think i shoud upgrade CPU to Xeon and run my bay with FreeNAS sofware RAID from a VM ( VD-t support to passtrough the disks)?

Or would it be better to invest in a P222 Array and use a real RAID 5

thanks for  your timeand your good work!

RAID1 on your SSD's is a good idea if redundancy is what you are looking for. 

I try to max out the memory and cpu when using esxi in production. So I would get a XEON.

I find most issues people have with FreeNAS relates to not having enough memory. 1GB per 1TB is the best, but in most cases .5GB per 1TB still works well.

I have not played with FreeNAS in a VM, so I am not sure of performance issues you may hit there.

I would try everything above and see how you like it before spending the money on a P222.

If you get everything together and the performance is not there, the P222 may help.

thanks for your help!

If I use FreeNAS in the VM I must take a CPU with VD-T-support (for passthrough) right? --> So I need the XEON-CPU anyway

1 GB RAM for 5 TB sounds good

I'm a little bit confused about how to connect all these drives. The SSD's to the B120i Contoller? How about the 3.5" HDDs? Do I have to set AHCI or RAID

Oh you wrote .5 so you mean 0,5GB per TB -> So in my case 8GB fom my 16TB. This means 8 GB RAM for my VMs

Btw. I orderd your SDM. Nice work!

Br

Roman

I made a mistake in my configuration.: I will use 6 drives. So I need a raidcontoller anyway. This means I can skip FreeNAS and ZFsr1 beacause I will buy a P222 Array with BBU.

I have a NAS question:: What is the best/easiest way to use  a NAS.

1. Using Debian as main OS I could configure NAS there.

2. Using a NAS OS like OpenMdiaVault os Nas4Free. I think the configuration should be more easy with a dedicated NAS OS.

Edited by Romi_Server

There is nothing particularly special about a so-called dedicated NAS OS. Any computer that shares files over the LAN is a NAS, even more so if it offers iSCSI. AFAIC, my WHS2011 box is a NAS.

But if you picked Windows as an OS when all you want is NAS functionality then you picked an expensive and heavyweight OS to do it with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1