RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best completely free hypervisor for Gen 8?

Simon_

Hello all, 

What is the best completely free hypervisor for HP Gen 8? 

I am looking at XENServer however i'm not sure of the compatibility with Gen 8.

How important is it to use b120i software raid controller? 

Thanks again, 

Simon 

Hyper-V?

To be fair I am biased, I'm not a *nix user even though we have a VMWare cluster here, as with most things Microsoft, by the time they hit the 3rd version its decent enough...

Edited by Trig0r

Hyper-V?

To be fair I am biased, I'm not a *nix user even though we have a VMWare cluster here, as with most things Microsoft, by the time they hit the 3rd version its decent enough...

I never knew that was free. But I have registered and I am downloading Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 - What is the best way to manage this, is there a free WebGUI that I could install as my primary computer runs OSX  

You can set it up, then just Remote Desktop into it, however, you might want to check the version of the Mac Remote Desktop App as he have had issues remoting into the newer versions of Windows (8/2012 etc) with the Mac RD as its not been updated, or at least it hadn't last time I checked so you have to knock the security level down a bit on the server before it'll let you remote in.

You might could use Team Viewer or something similar if the MAC RDP Client proves flaky.

Yeah Teamviewer will work fine, tested it here on non-production machines, depends if you want to install a 3rd party bit of s/w when the built in will most likely do the job...

There's supposed to be a pretty recent RDP Client for Mac, available in the App store.  I think it came out in December.  It's supposed to work pretty well.

Sorry to deviate a bit but what's the difference between the Eval and MSDN version of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2? This is from the premise that the product is supposed to be free. So having an Eval version as the only way to download outside of MSDN seems confusing.

Is it just a licensiing thing?... Are both technically identical?

They are the same.  If someone has an MSDN license, they shouldn't have to go searching for a free version.  It's just ease of access.